Selling Duck Eggs?

Vyctoria

Songster
May 30, 2016
Finger Lakes, NY
I've searched around and couldn't find a clear answer and every other post just seemed to be about pricing. My question is regarding rules and regulations on selling duck eggs. I currently sell them for $1.00 a dozen to a couple of my Dad's work friends, but I'd like to start selling at farmer's markets or asking a woman I used to work for (who owns a little farm shop down the road) if I could sell them there and give her a percentage. I know I could get a lot more this way.

My questioning is what is required to do it legally? Do I need to be certified yearly? I'm in New York state and I've looked around online and the info about it is impossible for me to understand. I am planning to switch them to New Country organic duck feed as well, but my older ducks were not started organic so it's my understanding that I can't sell the eggs as such because they'd need to be organic their whole lives. I'd love some clarity on this as well.

I currently have 8 ducks, 7 of which are female. I just recieved 4 more girls from Metzer, so I'm figuring on 10-11 eggs a day next spring. Currently getting 6 a day and it's more than I know what to do with, other than that I love baking with them.

Bonus pictures of my new girls to make it worth your while. There's Pepper and Maud (Cayugas) and Tansy and Pheobe (WH and Saxony). :)
_VAJ8438.png
_VAJ8445.png

We get $6 a dozen for duck eggs. They are treated like chicken eggs in Michigan. No special license to sell direct to customers. Check your state egg sales requirements.

Duck eggs are pricey. Not sure about the laws but they are worth more then a dollar a dozen. If you can, try selling to local bakeries, baking with duck eggs is suppose to be the best.

Try calling someone who works in the department that governs this topic. They can tell you about the laws in your area. Here in Virginia there are no restrictions or licensing if you stay below selling a certain number of eggs. You can call the eggs "fresh" but you cannot call them organic without special certification. I imagine that rule is the same everywhere. I advertise that I feed my ducks organic feed, but I don't call the eggs organic. I charge $5-$6 a dozen depending on what feed I'm using

Here in Colorado, I have been getting 5 to 6 dollars a dozen at our farmers market. People pay more for them becuase the majority of poultry owners raise chickens- not as many raise ducks. So a duck egg is a bit of a specialty! Check online on New York's Cottage Foods Act. Here in CO, I can sell under 200 and something dozen eggs a month without being licenced, but to sell to a bakery, I may have to get the farm inspected. I am still learning about all this as well, but happy duck egg selling!! You definitely need to charge more for your girls' eggs: )

Back
Top Bottom