selling ducks?

roocrazy

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
minnesota!!!!
I sell a lot of my flock in the fall for a little extra cash to put into my show cattle business. It is really hard though. Any tips? I'm selling them little for nothing... i don't even know if its worth it anymore!

i have
hmm.png

I'm sorry
sad.png

Why do you wait until the fall to sell them? I know that it is alot easier to sell things in the spring because they are young and cute, and also because people aren't worried about the cold, christmas, and freezing water. IMO the fall market is flooded with animals that people have lost interest in and don't want to feed over the winter. I think that you'd be alot better off selling ducklings in the spring when they hatch. Hope this helps, and if you are still enjoying them then it is still worth it!
smile.png

Things are different here in Australia. I never have problems selling my ducks. I even hatch year round because of the demand for them. Twice a year I breed up for auctions run by the Poultry club I am a member of - Crazy hear right now with so many, but after the weekend it sure will be quiet.

A few things I have found helps is..

Photos- having very tame hand raised ducks, having something that is rare, and pricing them fairly. Adding something like- buy two girls get a drake for free can work too. You can incorporate the price of the drakes into the cost of the two girls so its not really a free drake, but people think they are getting a bargain. Find something that sets your ducks apart form any others that are for sale in your area.

Good luck, Hope they soon find some homes.

Sometimes they sell well, sometimes they don't. When mine don't sell, they go in to the freezer.

Last edited:
The way people give adult ducks away for free around here, most of my extras go into my freezer. The public has been well trained to think of adult birds as giveaways.

Show quality birds should be easier to sell and for closer than what it cost to raise them. But I have a hard time picturing adult ducks bringing enough money to cover the cost of their feed to get them to adult size.

Not to mention, it is starting to freeze at night and a lot of people are trying to cut back on their livestock for the winter.

This is the first year I tried to sell and it SUCKED! I finally went to a swap meet and gave them away. (it was under $2/bird). I even had a lot of people at the swap tell me how well taken care of my birds were and how clean they were
sad.png
. I just couldn't feed and take care of that many birds over the winter.

Have you ever gone to Waverly Ia swap? I have heard that there is a lot of birds and a lot of looking. I went in the spring and there were a lot of people! Swaps, craigslist (although I tried throughout the summer and did not even have anyone calling me).

I am hoping to get a better response in the spring. Course I need to make sure hubby is on board with that thought, this spring I hatched a few babies with the thought if I have over 5 I would try and sell them... Hubby took that as it is so close to Easter that we should drag them to dinner at Grandma's and let kids love them and of course then you can't sell them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom