Selling eating eggs. What prices do you charge?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shaylee, Mar 18, 2009.

1. shaylee

shaylee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    I wasnt sure what area to post this in, if its in the wrong place, Im sorry.
    I am getting quite a few eggs. How much do ya'll sell a dozen for? My chickens are free pasture, large outbuilding that is never closed off, flresh straw and plenty of care. Eat a great diet. Layer, scratch, scraps, a couple of loaves fresh bread a week. All the good things. Just need an idea of rices. No competition close by or anything. Thanks...

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I think you'll find it varies by the part of the country you live in, and the region of that part of the country-- and even by the neighborhood.
    Even if you don't have "nearby" competition, you may get an idea for a starting price by the nearest couple of egg sellers-- use that as a starting point. Also, it's easier to lower your price, if you think it's too high, rather than to raise it and upset regular customers [​IMG]

That being said, I sell mine for $2.00 a dozen. I'm in rural Maine, and have some "competition" occasionally. This is the first year we've raised chickens though, so we've only got a small window of experience to go by. The woman up the road had a sign out for $1.50, and on the other side of me was $1.00. Up the road about 8 miles (major road, even though it's rural) was $1.00. The woman I bought from before mine started laying, I was paying $2.00, and she was ready to raise prices. None of those 3 are selling right now. Some have lost their chickens, others don't want to raise them and are selling their flocks. No telling what the summer will bring, however.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    3.00 a dozen [​IMG] And everyone is happy to pay it since even in walmart now brown eggs sell for over 3.00 here.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

$2 a dozen here, but I give away many more than I sell. A dear friend of mine is going to paint me a pretty "Fresh Eggs" sign with a cover that I can put over it when I don't have any available. Right now I'm only getting around 12-14 a day, but that should pick up when my buff orp gets her brood finished and starts laying again. Husband is afraid it'll get into a "permits, license, health inspection, drop in / unauthorized access to the premises, etc. ...

5. bwg_bear

bwg_bear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Kenton Ohio
    We get 1.50 a dozen, never have a problem betting rid of them. Maybe I should raise the price a little. [​IMG]

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Chicken $2 / doz
    Ducks $3 / doz

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    $2.00 a dozen here in SC

8. fairladi_chick

fairladi_chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    gray court,sc
    here in the upstate of south carolina, we sell our extra large brown eggs for $2.00 a dozen,, check you local grocery stores for the prices they sell for & go from there.( ours are not cage free but get treats everyday)

9. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    $2.00 to $2.50 here in mississippi - they only want my brown eggs though
    [​IMG] it pays for my feed [​IMG] ( but i give alot to family and neighbors too)

10. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Hey--time for me here in central WI to raise my price up from $2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by