Selling EE eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jennie5193, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I know people can be weird about the eggs they eat. I've even encountered people that didn't know chickens could lay brown eggs - and refused to eat them.

I have a few people that have asked me to sell them eggs. Of the eggs I've given them, I didn't put any blue eggs in there (because I was keeping them to hatch!) but now, I would like to sell those as well as the brown ones.

Does anyone have trouble selling their colored eggs?
    Thanks!

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Never had a problem selling the blue/green/pink eggs. Have got the "Is it really a chicken egg" question a couple times, but never had anyone refuse get them.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I know people can be weird about the eggs they eat. I've even encountered people that didn't know chickens could lay brown eggs - and refused to eat them.

That's amazing to me. Where did they think the eggs did come from? [​IMG]

4. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Quote:I'm sorry... words are not my gift. [​IMG]
    I meant to say that I've met a few people that didn't know eggs came in any color besides white and thought it was gross to eat a brown one. One person actually thought they needed to be washed so they'd be white. (She was 21 years old)... go figure. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  5. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Just yesterday I had someone say his wife didn't like the blue ones because they looked different.

6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I sell my eggs to my co-workers and a few of my childrens friends parents. (WOW - a little extended) Anyway, They LOVE the blue ones! We have the "All American" backyard flock. I think we have about 10-12 different laying hens at the moment so there are eggs from white, every shade of tan & brown to blue or green. They argue over the cartons with the most variety. LOVE IT!! [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm hoping my new chicks, whick are EE/Cochin mixes, will lay green eggs. Three hatched from green eggs! I intend to charge a bit more for those "special" eggs.

Of course, that's assuming any are pullets! I seem to have more talent raising roos!

8. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I get about 2 a day of the green ones and just mix thelm in with the brown ones espicaly if i know someone has kids that are getting thelm.

9. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Quote:That'll be my luck. I suppose I'll ask them before I just put them in there. The people that are buying from me are neighbors - and i think they would probably just not buy any more rather than tell me they didn't like the blue ones, you know? It's kinda funny, too, because I really didn't set out to sell eggs - but after I would give a dozen to someone they would come back and insist that they pay me. I really didn't want a "business" because I didn't want to have to worry about people liking my eggs or not - but I'm just considering it a blessing and going on.

Quote:This is encouraging! [​IMG] I'm glad to hear that. I have 3 EE pullets that are only about 5 or 6 weeks old now and when they start laying, I'll have way more than I can personally use! [​IMG] Besides, even if people don't want to buy them - I can always use those and sell the brown ones, right? LOL

Quote:Great! I hope they are pullets! Good luck with the sales. [​IMG] I want some green eggs one day, too!

Why does it seem like over the general population of chickens that the ratio of pullets to roos seems to be 1/100? I refuse to buy any "straight run" chicks because of the two batches I have gotten a 4/20 ratio, and a 1/6 (both of those batches were from private individuals, not hatcheries). I even bought 4 EE pullets and one has turned out to be a cockerel! (That is 22 roos out of 30 chicks!!) [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  10. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Quote:The only ones I have given away were for the entertainment of the grandchildren. Heck, I bought the bird just so my kids could see a blue egg! [​IMG]

That is a great idea, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by