selling egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TK Poultry, Sep 13, 2009.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ok my EE pen has been giving me fertile eggs and i want to start selling them....do you think i should pop some into my incubator first to see how they do or should i just send a batch out and sell them as testers i consulted with my mom of all people and we think i should just pop some int the incubator before i sell any testers

2. Von

Von Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry this is a bit off topic, but what is EE?

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
  4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You can test for fertility without incubating--just crack a few eggs open and look for the "bull's-eye" on the yolk. I don't know where the thread is off-hand, but if you search the forums, you'll find pics of the bull's-eye (or maybe someone else who knows where they are can link). Once you know what you're looking for, it's pretty easy to see.

Don't know if you should run a test batch or not, to check for anything else that may be wrong... but I don't see a problem with selling them as a "test batch" and once you have good feedback from buyers, then charging full price.

Good luck!

5. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    see i did that two and im pretty sure my EE eggs are fertile but just so i dont upset anyone i might just pop a few in the bator just too see b/c if it were me i would want my seller to know what the fertility was and even with test batches people know kinda what the fertility is right??

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I always incubate some of my eggs both before and during the time I'm selling them. Having someone do a test hatch for you is ok, but with shipping being tough on the eggs it really doesn't give you a true idea about how fertile your eggs are.

7. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    that is what i thought but i wanted to make sure b/c i didnt want to upset anyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by