selling eggs and birds LEGALLY...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by johnskoi, Mar 13, 2017.

1. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

... i'm not quite sure where to post this question so if a moderator feels it would be more appropriate in another section, please move it accordingly... ;)

a little background:

in late may/early June of 2015, i ordered hatching eggs from someone who's flock was found to be positive for Avian Influenza while the eggs were in one of my incubators... powers that be wanted to put my ENTIRE flock down (which IS understandable) -- it didn't happen and BYC was VERY helpful throughout that ordeal-- i was put under quarantine for 30 days and i passed .. i NEVER had AI, but the simple fact that i purchased eggs from someone who was POSITIVE for it made me VERY aware of the risks involved w/ buying and selling eggs (i'm an egg-washer - my floors don't get mopped very often, but my eggs are cleaned before they go in the incubator- lol)... even though i tested 'clean' after the 30 day qt, personally, i would not have felt comfortable selling an egg for a full 13 months ( certain viruses cycle on an annual basis and even though AI is NOT considered one of them, viruses can and DO mutate)... while i haven't sold eggs since June 2015 (i did hatch and keep a few too many birds), i am starting the process of sending my eggs to be tested for AI so that i can sell again with confidence...

my questions are:

-- is there a list of states and their requirements for allowing eggs (and/or poultry) to enter form another state?

-- NPIP - while i want to bring them in, i hesitate for the fear of where they might have been before here... i get it, but an 'i'm sorry' after the fact wouldn't cut it...

thanks in advance for any info :), john

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
  3. johnskoi

i guess i didn't ask a second question lol

thank you so much for the chart... if i understand it correctly, does it mean that i would have to contact each state individually on the ones requiring permits in addition to 'vs form 9-3' or would the permit from my state be all that is required?

by being NPIP, do you know if that covers what most of the states would require?

and i need to do more homework.... thank you! :)

while i really do understand just how important it all is, the reality is the tests that come back clean are only as good as the day that they were tested....

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The truth is it all comes down to your own conscience. I bought dozens of eggs via ebay last year and not a single one had a form or NPIP stamp, and I am in MD. It's really just "enforced" by the honor system since its not like each state has ag officers at the post offices. A lot of people do not label their boxes as eggs anyway, because they think they get handled better (I find the opposite to be true). Live chicks may be a different scenario, and NPIP stamps/forms are actually checked, probably when the chicks are dropped off for shipment..

ETA here are the rules for Maryland. They can all be found on the APHIS (USDAs Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service) website

*** POULTRY & HATCHING EGGS ***
    A. Imported poultry, except poultry imported for immediate slaughter, must be tested negative for pullorum and typhoid within 90 days of importation or originate from U. S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean or equivalent flocks. On request from the Department, VS Form 9-3 or VS Form 9-2 or its equivalent shall accompany shipments. Poultry known to be infected with pullorum or typhoid which is shipped into Maryland for immediate slaughter shall be labeled by the consignor.
    B. Imported hatching eggs shall originate from U. S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean or equivalent flocks. On request from the Department, NPIP Form 15 or its equivalent shall accompany shipments.
    C. All exhibitors must show proof that poultry originated from a Pullorum-Fowl Free Flock or have been tested negative for Pullorum-Typhoid not more than (90) days of the exhibition. [Proof is documented on VS Form 9-2, VS Form 9-3 or comparable form. Junior 4-H exhibitors of broiler stock only, can substitute the above with either MDA-A-16 Health Certificate for Show or official letter endorsed by a Maryland Agricultural Extension Agent attesting to approved source of the birds]. Testing must be completed before arrival at exhibition.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Also, your last statement is very, very true and one reason a lot of us don't put a lot of weight on NPIP. It's something the government "requires" in many instances, but it really does not do a whole heck of a lot to prove how healthy a flock is or that your flock won't get sick. It could be full of Mareks or Mycoplasma carriers, for example, but still be NPIP.

6. johnskoi

sun, thank you so much!

before i ship another egg, i will be tested for AI and pullorum to CONFIRM that my flock is negative... i'm not sure how above board i will go from there.... but i WILL be honest about whichever route i take ....

in the back of my mind i'm thinking about excluding sales to states where they have confirmed cases in the past 90 days.......as they say, CYA .... ( that being said, when i was selling, i had foreigners (don't read too deep here - i would probably open my doors to a foreign family in need)

if i ever thought my flock was positive, as much as it would destroy me, they WOULD be put down -- i would never even think of passing it on .....

imo, people, wash your friggin eggs and handle the loss of an embryo or two instead of risking losing EVERYTHING... by washing, a mean a gentle 30 - 60 seconds under cool water (if an egg is filthy, burn it and leave appropriate feedback ) ...stains happen -- but if the entire order is stained badly, i'd think more than twice about incubating them...babble, babble, babble......

7. johnskoi

i've made a decision to go as above board board as i possibly can... made a 7 hr round trip yesterday to deliver 30 + eggs for AI testing (laugh at me, if you will, but i'm paranoid of them getting contaminated while in transit PO wise ---lol..) ...

after speaking with Dr. Hopson yesterday at VA DOA and several emails with Kymberly Hammer (i've had GREAT respect for these two people since I met them in June of 2015), i've decided to take the class and become npip certified (my son will most likely take the class with me and become certified as well) so that i can test my own flock --- until then, i will be hatching way too many birds...[​IMG] .....

the toughest part is going to be catching the peas for blood samples -- something i would end up doing even if someone else were to test...

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. johnskoi

as of 8:45 this morning, 30 of my eggs submitted for AI are negative ... (i would have been mortified if they came back pos!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by