Selling Eggs and Garden Produce ... what do I grow?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MyKidLuvsGreenEgz, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I put an ad on Craigslist for barter eggs for some help and I'm suddenly getting responses that people just want to BUY eggs. I got an e-mail today asking for several dozen! I don't have that many yet, but it got me thinking.

Our egg production will really pick up within the next couple of months. Yeah, we have only 10 hens now, but next week, and the week after, we'll have day-olds, and they'll be laying by mid-late summer. Then we'll have LOTS of eggs. And since I already have people asking to buy eggs, I'm sure we'll have lots of takers. Especially since our eggs will have light brown, dark brown, white, green and blue shells!

We're about a 45-60 min away from Denver, but there are people willing to drive to this area for garage sales AND fresh goat milk AND eggs AND etc ... so ...

... thinking that since I'm gonna plant a garden for us (for eating fresh and for winter use), maybe I should grow extra to sell when people come to pick up eggs! Problem is, it'll take another year or two before the goat-and-chicken-poo will amend our soil to be of much use, so most of what we'll grow will be in pots and other raised beds. And we only have about 1/10th an acre.

My question: for those of you who sell produce at farmers markets and from home, what should I plant extra of to sell from home with my eggs?

Here's what I'm growing for us (some things I haven't chosen varieties yet):
    -Tomato, a big red slicer
    -Tomato, yellow pear
    -Tomato, red paste
    -Pepper, Bell, Red and possibly Orange
    -Pepper, Hot, Jalapeno? Cayenne? Habanero?
    -Green beans
    -Leaf lettuce
    -Cucumbers, pickling
    -Radish, Pink Beauty
    -Parsley
    -Basil
    -Nasturtium (edible flower)
    -Zucchini
    -Yellow Squash (crookneck or straightneck???)
    -Squash, Winter, Curbita Moschata, Butternut
    -Squash, Winter, Curbita Maxima, Blue Hubbard OR Australian Butter
    -Squash, Winter, Curbita Pepo, New England Sugar Pie Pumpkins
    -Squash, Winter, Curbita Pepo, Spaghetti
    -Squash, Winter, Curbita Mixta, Mexican X-Top (cushaw)
    Note: I created a list last year to help me figure out winter squash and the cross-pollination problems: http://vikkisverandah.blogspot.com/2010/01/winter-squash-cross-pollination-and.html

Anyways ... also growing things like heirloom corn, giant sunflowers, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, amaranth, millet, watermelon and cantaloupe but don't have room to grow enough to sell AND eat! And I've never been good at growing onions or potatoes.

By next year, we'll have blueberries, raspberries, grapes and blackberries, and a few years from now we'll have apples, peaches and pears.

So ... for 2011, is there something else that (1) is easy to grow (2) will grow well in pots or raised beds (3) 90-day growing season and (4) sells very well to people who buy your eggs?

I'm placing my seed order by Monday, and will be starting some of the seeds as soon as I get the order.

HELP!

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    My dad always plants cayenne pepper plants and has success with them, but last year in his raised beds they produced like gangbusters. I like your list, sounds like a great variety.

3. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:==========
    Thank you. I have a packet of white habanero pepper seeds from last year, and might have some cayenne pepper seeds somewhere. Wonderful! Thanks again.

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Maybe you could visit a local farmer's market to see what has the highest demand for your area. Along with the veggies you choose, fresh herbs might do very well. Some folks might be interested in purchasing started plants, too.

This is just an idea to instantly amend poor soil, so maybe you could use that right away instead of waiting a couple of years...rabbit manure is the only manure that can go straight to the garden. It does not need composting first, and they produce TONS of it, lol. Also, rabbit or goat manure tea is easy and goes a long way. A little can feed a lot of plants while the soil itself is being built up other ways over the long term. Just a thought so you could use all your soil right now.

5. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:=====
    Thought about going to a farmer's market but they are all done until Summer. Went last year and there weren't many specialty plants. Catered to the masses. Thought maybe I could offer something a bit unusual to justify coming all the way out here (besides the green and blue eggs!).

The amendment thing: we had an angora rabbit until just recently and used her poo as much as possible, but that's gone for now. Probably be another year until we get another. Do all of the wild rabbits that eat my garden count?!?![​IMG]

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] Yeah, I think the wild rabbits consume more they contribute. Someone near you may have plenty of either manures to give away or sell inexpensively. Just an idea.

7. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Oh, and I was wondering what the best selling red slicer tomato would be for markets? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by