Selling eggs at the farm market...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    For those of you who sell eggs at the farm market, have you ever had anyone ask 'how much for two'? I had that happen, and somewhat mystified asked 'you mean two eggs?' She replied 'yes.' Really? I should take two eggs from a carton to sell? Then what do you do with the remaining ten? I have been selling eggs at the market for years, and never had that before. [​IMG]

2. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    You could divide what you sell a carton at and sell them that way. Otherwise I'd say it's $2. a carton, regardless of 2 or 12 in it.
    Some people are just super strange...but have you considered getting 6-pack cartons?

3. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    if that was to happen again, i would have a bucket of loose eggs for people that only want to buy a couple eggs for about 20 au cents...

4. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    We don't sell at our farmer's market, but we do sell eggs individually. 35 cents each. There is a guy up the street who only uses eggs occasionally, in recipes or as an omelet, and he comes and buys two whenever he needs them. He generally just carries them, but if I had to package them I would wrap in paper towels and put in ziploc bags, one to a baggie.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't sell at Farmer's Markets but that does not surprise me. When you deal with people in public like that, you have to deal with all kinds of people. Asking for just two does not mean they have to be weird. In this economy, maybe twelve is a lot for them. Maybe they want to sample your eggs to see if they are going to be a regular customer. Maybe they have a recipe that calls for only two eggs. I've known people who would do something like that and never think a thing of it. Who knows why they asked for only two?

How you handle it is up to you. It may be too much of an inconvenience to you to break a dozen. Our systems are set up and it can be a pain to do something different. If you normally sell out, then you could easily lose a sale by not having a full dozen. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not break a dozen.

If you do break it, you should charge a bit more per egg. I'd consider dividing the regular carton price by 12 to get the normal price per egg, then round up to a convenient number so I could avoid dealing with pennies. Say you charge $4.00 per dozen. $4.00/12 = $0.33, so charge $0.35 each, maybe $0.40 each, what ever you feel is right for you. It is extra inconvenience and probably extra work for you, so charging more is legitimate. If you provide special packaging, then it is even more justified.

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Before my pullets starting laying we probably used no more than a dozen eggs a month. Now we are looking for ways to use them. I can easily see why someone would want to buy one or two eggs at the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by