Selling eggs at the farmer's market

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Markp1964, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Markp1964

Markp1964 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    Anyone find that farmer's markets or similar events are worth the effort?
    Reading Joel Salatin's books, were he talks about taking eggs in a cooler to a local farmer's market/market day event made me wonder if it still can be that simple.

2. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    I don't know about any books written about 'farmers markets', but here in my small town, every Tuesday it really is very simple. The hard part is getting a parking spot that I can leave from easily once my eggs are sold, heh.

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree - it is simple. Show up with eggs, go home with an empty cooler. The girls can't lay enough to fill the demand - and these people are paying $3.00 a dozen! The only problem is that we only have one more week of market left and everyone wants to be on my winter list. I explain that I don't know how many eggs I'll get - everyone is starting to moult and go into winter mode.

4. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sunbury square farmer's market in our area happens every Saturday morning. We've looked it up because of our goats milk...it seems like selling eggs there would be -very- easy. They do make you pay $5 to be a vendor. If you went every week, I'm sure you'd get a couple of returning customers who'd at least help you get your $5 back. But, that vendor fee would cut into your profits. So much so, that it might be better to go to the FM a couple of times to find customers, and then arrange for alternative pickup/sales points.

NGC

5. Markp1964

Markp1964 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    So funny that you mention Sunbury. I live in a suburb of Columbus that is about 15 minutes away from Sunbury and have been to the farmer's market there a few times. I know a watercolor artist who sets up shop there.
    It was being at that market and reading Salatin's book that put the image in my head of pulling up with my cooler of free ranged freash eggs.
    I guess I'm still used to the industiralized food chain and wondered if a cooler would be adequate to keep the eggs at teh proper temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by