Selling eggs for eating with Rooster spots?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suki'smom, Aug 7, 2011.

1. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    This just crossed my mind. I have 3 cockerels in with my pullets and they will be together all the time. Now I plan on eating the eggs from my hens as well as selling them but chances are they will have "the spot of the Rooster" within them. Any thoughts?

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Fertile and unfertile eggs are just the same for eating. Unless you are a experienced chicken keeper you will not even be able to tell the difference.

The "spot" you are referring to could possibly be a meat-spot, a small reddish spot in the egg, and is caused by a breakage of a blood vessel during the egg making process inside the hen.

They are perfectly safe to eat as well.

If your customers don't like them you can tell them why they are there and/ or to pick it out with a spoon.

The ones in the grocery store don't have them because they are candled with high power equipment to see any abnormalities inside the egg before packaging.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Thanks so much for the reply. In my other flock I only had one bantam Sultan rooster so he wasn't very good at fertilizing my large hens. I noticed every now and then a egg would have a red spot on the yolk and I thought it was from him. A few of my family members were grossed out by this and I was worried that with 3 standard roosters that all the eggs would have the spot and nobody would want them [​IMG]

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Your welcome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by