Selling eggs in CA.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mychickenbrood, Jan 19, 2013.

1. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I went to the Ag. extension online site and a few links to universities and it was a little confusing and complicated. One of the ways it described to wash eggs was to be sure the water was about 100 degrees. However, the information said temps that are more than 50 degrees lower than the eggs, can cause eggs crack. Also, the rinse water was supposed to be not more than 20 degrees difference (sorry-I foget whether it is recommended to be lower or higher) than the wash water.

So here is the problem: I only get about a dozen eggs a day, so refrigerate them in used cartons to wash in a, "soap," I got from a hatchery. So they are cold when I put them in the hot water and some did break. Yet, it does not make sense to let them warm up (due to freshness) before I wash them. I am getting ready to sell eggs, so want to provide my customers with the best eggs. Any suggestions or wisdom will be appreciated.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If the eggs are clean, there is no reason to wash them. In fact, there are some disadvantages to doing so but I forget what they are. Something about removing a cuticle (whatever that is) and making it easier for bacteria to enter. On the occasions when I did wash eggs I used an egg wash powder I got from Nasco in Modesto, CA and followed the instructions on the label..

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Washing removes the bloom, the thin protective layer that covers the egg. If you do need to wash eggs, wash and dry them before refrigerating them. The water should be warmer than the egg, but does not need to be hot. Remember that once washed, eggs must be refrigerated.

4. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I see. That is why eggs can sit around for awhile, without refrigeration. I did not get the connection. Makes sense.

I do wash them, just because it seems prudent when I sell to the public, but humm. Now I don't know if that is best. Just seems most people would want it to be done. Thank-you for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by