14 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Simpsonville, SC
HELP!!!! Alright, those of you from SC, please let me know what this means:

ARTICLE 3.

PROVISIONS FOR THE LABELING AND MARKETING OF EGGS

SECTION 39-39-110. Definitions.

As used in this chapter:

(1) "Eggs" means the unprocessed eggs of a domesticated chicken hen while they are still in the shell.

(2) "South Carolina eggs" means eggs produced in this State.

(3) "Producer" means a person selling no eggs other than those eggs produced by his own flock.

(4) "Retailer" means a person, firm, or corporation selling or offering for sale eggs to consumers in this State.

(5) "Distributor" means a person offering for sale or distributing eggs in this State to a retailer, cafe, restaurant, or other establishment serving eggs to the public or to an institutional user. It includes a person distributing eggs to his own retail outlet but does not include a person engaged to haul or transport eggs nor a producer.

SECTION 39-39-120. Egg wholesalers must be licensed.

Wholesalers handling eggs must be licensed by the Department of Agriculture. The license must be issued at no cost and in a form prescribed by regulations promulgated by the department.

SECTION 39-39-130. State standards, grades, and weight classes for shell eggs same as United States standards except as modified or rejected.

The South Carolina standards, grades, and weight classes for shell eggs are the same as the United States standards and their supplements and revisions as published by the United States Department of Agriculture, except as modified or rejected by regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of Agriculture.

SECTION 39-39-140. Eggs shall be labeled as to quality, size and weight class.

In order to protect the producer, the distributor, and the consumer, all eggs sold in this State must be labeled so as to designate their quality, size, and weight class.

SECTION 39-39-150. Unlawful acts.

It is unlawful to:

(1) offer eggs for sale at retail in open cases, boxes, or other containers from which eggs are sold in bulk to consumers and to fail to display conspicuously on the case, box, or other container a plainly written designation showing the correct grade and weight class to which the eggs conform. The designation must be of the kind and in the manner required by regulations of the Department of Agriculture;

(2) use the word "nulaid", "country", "hennery", "day-old", "select", "selected", "certified", "best", "nearby", "fresh-laid", or a similar descriptive term which the Commissioner of Agriculture, by regulation, prohibits in connection with the advertising or selling of eggs;

(3) use the words "South Carolina" in connection with the advertisement and sale of eggs not produced in this State;

(4) use the word "fresh" in connection with the advertisement and sale of eggs not produced in this State unless those eggs meet or exceed the quality standard designated "Grade A".

SECTION 39-39-160. Enforcement; promulgation of rules and regulations.

The Commissioner of Agriculture is charged with the enforcement of this chapter and is authorized to promulgate regulations necessary to carry out its provisions and purposes.

SECTION 39-39-170. Exemptions.

The following are exempt from this chapter:

(1) persons who buy or sell eggs to be used exclusively for hatching purposes;

(2) shipments of eggs in interstate commerce;

(3) persons who sell eggs at a roadside stand near the farm on which the eggs were produced.

I found this online and would like it broken down into "stupid people terms"

I don't understand all that gibber gabber on there.

Can I sell them from my front yard or do I need to have some sort of license and have them properly boxed and stuff.

SECTION 39-39-170. Exemptions.

The following are exempt from this chapter:

(1) persons who buy or sell eggs to be used exclusively for hatching purposes;

(2) shipments of eggs in interstate commerce;

(3) persons who sell eggs at a roadside stand near the farm on which the eggs were produced.

The last section, #3 means you can sell eggs from your farm/yard. You will NOT have to have them labeled, size weight etc. or be liscenced.
SELL SELL SELL!!!
wee.gif

Yes you need a license but its free from the SC department of agriculture.
You can sell your eggs from your farm or front lawn as long as you can prove the eggs are produced by you at your home or farm.
You must label your eggs as small, medium, large or extra large according to specific size specifications. You may or may not be able to use "used" cartons from other producers as most large firms have a problem with it and in many areas you can be fined.
There are certain words you may not use on your label."select" "Hennery" etc.
Hope this helps. Remember your city or county may have some rules so check with your local extension office.
hope this helps.
Shanti Marie

The law is confusing to me. I've been wanting to sell some of my eggs at a very small local Farmer's Market. I would only have, at most, about 5 dozen to sell per week. But, if I'm reading this right, I would need to be licensed and do the whole nine yards with candling and labeling and using new cartons.....right?

I've been selling just a couple of cartons a few times a month at an empty lot in town. I think I'm within the law doing this. I just collect the eggs (no more than seven days old) wash them and float them to be sure they lay flat, dry them and put them in used cartons. I'm not breaking the law, right?

I guess it depends upon how near I need to be to my yard? I also painted a really pretty sign that says "Fresh Eggs for Sale." It looks like I need to cover up the word fresh.

The law is confusing to me. I've been wanting to sell some of my eggs at a very small local Farmer's Market. I would only have, at most, about 5 dozen to sell per week. But, if I'm reading this right, I would need to be licensed and do the whole nine yards with candling and labeling and using new cartons.....right?

I've been selling just a couple of cartons a few times a month at an empty lot in town. I think I'm within the law doing this. I just collect the eggs (no more than seven days old) wash them and float them to be sure they lay flat, dry them and put them in used cartons. I'm not breaking the law, right?

I guess it depends upon how near I need to be to my yard? I also painted a really pretty sign that says "Fresh Eggs for Sale." It looks like I need to cover up the word fresh.

Try contacting the farmers market you're planning on going to. They should be able to answer your questions.
Exactly^^^^

NOTE: this thread was started in 2007 so first 3 posts here might be obsolete.

Would selling 5 dozen eggs at a Farmer's Market even cover your space rent, let alone your time and gas? Even if you charged $5 a dozen, you're talking $25 max. I'd far rather sell them from home or through private pick up.

Back
Top Bottom