Selling Eggs in the Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hinky toes, Nov 1, 2008.

1. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    Perhaps this subject has been discussed already, but are there any ramifications to selling eggs to the neighbors? I know that there are risks/liability with salmonella...

My birds lay about 18 eggs/day; we don't eat THAT many in a week, so I was looking for a way to earn a little money to pay for feed and to unload the extras.

Am I forgetting anything else?

2. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    I hope to begin doing the same thing in the springtime when all of ours are old enough to lay. I think as long as you are just selling to family/friends/neighbors you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to sell in a store or even in a farmer's market, you might need some kind of inspection or permit. Maybe someone in your area who's already selling eggs could tell you what's what. [​IMG]

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    First find out what your state and local laws and ordinances are. Generally your dept of agriculture extention office is the best resource for that information. Many find that they cannot sell eggs if they live in towns with restrictions but that they can ask for "donations" toward upkeep. Be careful how you market them also so that you do not invite problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by