Selling Eggs Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rayne17, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Rayne17

Rayne17 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Moxee WA.
    I would like to sell my chicken eggs in the near future. Do i need to check each egg to make sure there is not a developing chick inside before i sell them? I plan on collecting eggs every day and put them in the refrigerator. Before i sell them i will wash each one and put in an egg carton. I have 12 hens and one roo.
    Thank you for any advice in advance.
    Rayne

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    No.

Long story short: the fridge will prevent development.

3. pongoid

pongoid Songster

May 8, 2010
    Do you need a license or inspection to sell your eggs?

4. Rayne17

Rayne17 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Moxee WA.
    Thanks.
    If by chance my hens hide some eggs for lets say 3 or 4 days, would those eggs have a developing chick inside? Can you tell i'm worried i will sell or give away undesired eggs to friends of family.
    Rayne

5. Rayne17

Rayne17 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Moxee WA.
    I have seen other people in the area where i live sell eggs with out a license. Not sure on the inspection part of it though.

Quote:

6. Quote:If you do find any hidden eggs, just toss them or hardboil and feed back to the hens.

7. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have had some of these same questions too. Might sound silly, but do you just collect the eggs and then wash them in running water? Our hens aren't old enough to lay yet. I've also wondered about the license/inspection thing too. I wonder, "What happens if someone gets sick and blames my eggs?" We're hoping to sell to our neighbors. We live on a main road for our neighborhood and I'm hoping to put out a little sign when we have extra eggs to sell.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. Each state is different if you need a permit to sell them or not. Check with your local AG rep.

Steve

9. Quote:I just sell them to family. If they have poo on them, I was them off with very warm water, dont use cold as it will cause the egg pours to close and suck in bacteria.

About the license, here in NY I heard as long as you sell them from your property your fine without a permit/license, but if you bring them to people or farmers markets your supposed to have a license or something.

10. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:I just sell them to family. If they have poo on them, I was them off with very warm water, dont use cold as it will cause the egg pours to close and suck in bacteria.

About the license, here in NY I heard as long as you sell them from your property your fine without a permit/license, but if you bring them to people or farmers markets your supposed to have a license or something.

Thanks for the water temp info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by