1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Selling eggs, raising chicks, Roosters with the hens. Some questions.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FarmerCarl, Feb 21, 2009.

1. FarmerCarl

FarmerCarl In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    West Michigan
    I have a small flock of 7 RIR hens for eggs. I've been selling the extras to family members. This summer, I would like to add to my layers and sell eggs to the public too.

But, I also want to try to raise chicks with a few hens doing the work. That means I'll need a rooster hanging around.

This is probably an obvious question, but at the risk of sounding dumb, here goes....

Do I have to keep my roosters separate from the hens whose eggs I sell to the public?

Whats the best way to have eggs for sale and to also keep a flock of hens with a rooster to raise chicks?

My birds free range all year round. Will I have to keep separate flocks to do this?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, you dont have to separate the rooster. Almost all my eggs I sell are fertile. They cant tell the difference. I dont tell anyone they are fertile (though most know I have roosters) and no one has ever asked me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by