Selling eggs to restaurants or farmer's markets

Every area is different. Some states will require you to be licensed, simply because you are selling food to the public and they want you to do it properly. Some towns don't care and will buy your eggs right off the street. I know around here, I can walk into my local herb market and they will always buy my excess chicken and quail eggs. They do not need me to provide any permits and such, although I live in the middle of nowhere. LOL Even the local restaurants around here love the quail eggs and will take them from me and I do not have any permits or licensing to do so. However some towns or establishments might ask for this information.

I do know that you can NOT label anything organic, unless you can certify that. And of course that would require state licensing of some sort.

If I were you, I would pick a place near you, preferable a place that knows you, and just ask them if they will purchase them from you. You never know, and you can avoid all the red tape.

Oh, and Mexican restaurants just die for quail eggs! A big delicacy for these restaurants. I know a lady in Durango CO that has a huge business selling to the Mexican restaurants in the area. Good luck!

It depends.

When you sell eggs from home you need to take some things into account. It's no easy task to do it legally, but once you got your rump covered there's much more peace of mind. Here are some ideas & steps:

State rules: Can you sell eggs for food in your state? Do you need a licence to do so? (Contact your State regulations office to find out).

County/Local By-Law: Can you sell eggs for food in your local area? Is there a restriction how much or where (say, from your home) they can be sold? (Contact your local mayor's office for more info.)

Local Farmer's Market: Find out whose in charge by asking around at greenhouses, local garden or poultry clubs, etc. Find out what their rules are, how much you need to pay to enter, do you need to show a license for selling (or even keeping) quail, etc.

Local Restaurants: If the first two say "Yes! You can sell eggs" then you need to ask around your local restaurants. Start with Asian markets (quail are very wanted), Asian restaurants, your local Chinatown. Branch out from there to 'specialty' or quirky restaurants, etc.

Lastly, get EVERYTHING in writing. Don't skimp on this step. If you get the 'okay' from one place, have it ready incase they try to back out (for whatever reason). If a by-/law changes it'll save your hide & you've a better chance to apply for grandfathering.

Best of luck!

I called the California dept. of Food & Agriculture, Animal Health Division; Egg Quality Control Program & spoke to Rosie, who at my surprise, said KALIFORNIA DOES NOT REGULATE THE SALE OF QUAIL EGGS AT THE STATE LEVEL!!!!!!
As long as you're not selling anything besides quail eggs, you don't need an egg handler's permit!!! woohoo!! They said to check with the county as far as farmer's markets go :)

I called the California dept. of Food & Agriculture, Animal Health Division; Egg Quality Control Program & spoke to Rosie, who at my surprise, said KALIFORNIA DOES NOT REGULATE THE SALE OF QUAIL EGGS AT THE STATE LEVEL!!!!!!
As long as you're not selling anything besides quail eggs, you don't need an egg handler's permit!!! woohoo!! They said to check with the county as far as farmer's markets go :)
Sweet, that's great news. Make sure you get that in writing as well. Saves headaches down the road.^^

Does anybody know what's involved in selling eggs to these places? I'm in California & overwhelmed with Jumbo Coturnix eggs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Shelly
When you first posted this question, I knew there was something here in BYC that had something to do with "Selling Eggs"... I knew that if I thought about it long enough it would come to me. Sounds like you already have one hurdle out of your way; here is the link.
Good luck,
James

Back
Top Bottom