Selling eggs to retail shops in Ohio

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by moonhaus, Jan 22, 2013.

1. moonhaus

moonhaus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has info on the requirements for selling wholesale chicken and duck eggs to retail shops in Ohio?

So far, I've been unable to find a clear-cut explanation.

Thanks so much!
    Jerah

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I don't know, but I'd like to know that answer also, but for California...

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My understanding was that your facility needed to be inspected by the state. I would call around or go in to a few local farm markets and ask them how to sell eggs in their shops. They should be able to tell you what things they are required to obtain in order to sell eggs.

4. notakd

notakd New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    You cannot sell your meat chickens to an establishment that turns around and resells them if you home process them. You can sell them to an establishment that cooks the chicken and then sells it if you home process. Now if you take them to an inspected facility and get the USDA stamp that says they have been inpsected then you can sell them where ever except across state line unless it was a federally inspected facility. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/fsisnotices/poultry_slaughter_exemption_0406.pdf

that link will tell you everything you need to know. there is also a link that i didnt look for but it also tells about selling eggs. one thing i do know is that you can not reuse egg containers!

\hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by