Selling eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vtchickenlady, Nov 28, 2008.

1. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I live in Vermont and have a small flock. I'm going to start selling my eggs at a local meat market. I put my eggs now in recycled cartons that my neighbors give me. Is it ok to sell eggs in cartons that have other company names on them? I will be making my own labels to put on. Keep in mind that this is Vermont and a very small town but we do get lots of tourists. I don't want to have to buy my own cartons. And, my opinion is that if you can't accept a recycled package then get over yourself. Just wondering about laws etc.

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I sell mine in recycled grocery store cartons and everyone understands what they are getting.However there maybe someone who wants to be a butt hole about it and cause trouble.Everyone I know in my area that sells farm eggs do what I do and we mostly know who we are selling to but if you have customers that you don't know thta's where having your own cartons made will help.

3. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will just keep using the recycled store cartons. Don't want the added expense of buying new ones.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We use recycled ones too - when we do sell some, we slap a sticker on it that says "Layed between ___ and ____ At Deb's house."

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I was planning on using recycled egg cartons too.

I was thinking if you was to buy your own NEW cartons then you would have to add that into the price of the eggs. That would make the eggs to much, anyone else feel that way? [​IMG]

6. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Forgots to mention that I love your idea Deb! [​IMG]

7. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Blank cartons at my local feed mill are 25 cents each. Folks who set up a cooler or frig to sell eggs out by the road use these. We always return them when we buy another dozen.
    I know another person who sells them at work in blank cartons and the co workers exchange them the same way.
    You may not have to make that much of an investment if you decide on your own cartons.

8. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:That sounds like great idea! Plus I think I'll check the local feed stores & see what they have for cartons. Thanks for the ideas! [​IMG]

9. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    My wife and I sell 10-12 dozen a week to people at work and in the small town where we live. Everyday when I come into work there will be 4-5 empty cartons with notes for more eggs. It seems my customers think whats important is whats in the carton not whats on it [​IMG]

10. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We buy cartons online from a supply store 5 hours west of us because it's cheaper than at the feed store here, even with the shipping. They're plain, and say fresh eggs on them, I'll be making labels for them. I prefer to use plain ones so I can fully pimp my farm [​IMG]

Note we live in a huge cottaging area, lots of American tourists, lots of Cottagers from the GTA, who love the novelty in farm fresh eggs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by