Selling Eggs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by weebles&wobblesmom, Oct 23, 2011.

1. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I'm sure someone can help me.
    I am wanting to start selling my eggs. I get a dozen in 2 days so I have eggs coming out of my ears.....LOL Since this is my first time with chickens, what is the best way to handle them for selling? Is there anything special I should do?

I was told NOT to wash them but I have been rinsing them off with cool water to get dirt and mudd (some will lay them outside). Is this OK or should I be doing something else? I heard to use a little bit of bleach in hot water and soak them for about 30 secs.

I am a little afraid to sell them because people today are so sue happy. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I just rinse mine in cold water, and have them waiting in the refrigerator. Advertise that you're selling, have people come over, get them their dozen, two dozen, whatever. [​IMG]

I never bleach or do hot water with mine. Just a rinse or wash under cold to slightly warm water to get the possible dirt off. I try not to do it roughly though because I want to keep the protective coating mostly intact. The eggs last longer if not harshly washed.

People can't and won't sue as long as you don't make promises, etc. But they will stop buying if they're not satisfied. And don't take it personally if it happens. My girls are free ranged on a huge pasture filled with good stuff (more than just the typical flat grass patch) they lay all colors of eggs, and they're the best tasting around among the very few others who sell eggs, but because so few people sell eggs, half the customers are not used to fresh eggs, and stop buying for stupid reasons. (one had a blood-spot so it must have been a dead chick, they're dirty because they're farm-fresh, etc etc)

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Check state law. You have to do things a set way in some states an in others you cant sell or even give away your eggs.

4. weebles&wobblesmom

Mar 24, 2011
    Yeah, you do the same thing I do as far as washing. I just rub with my fingers, if I have anything stuck.

My chickens get out for about 2 hours a day because I work and don't trust my dogs or any neighbors' dogs.
    I do give them grass when we cut the yard as well as fresh things out of the garden.

Thank you for your reply.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I just wipe any visible dirt off of my eggs with a damp paper towel and put into cartons which I store in my garage in a mini fridge. My dozens are an assortment of brown, blue and green and I weigh them to make sure that a dozen is more than 1 lb 8 oz which is what a dozen large eggs should weigh.

I put out a cooler at the end of my 250' long driveway each day I have eggs to sell with the eggs in cartons and blue ice freezer packs. I have labels on the cartons with my phone number and a tin for the money. I also have a sign I put out each day. I live in a very rural area & have never had anyone take any eggs with out paying. I usually make sure to bring the cooler in at dusk when I close up the coops. I have a wagon that I use to move the cooler & sign.

It took a couple of weeks to establish regular customers, but now I sell out every day I have eggs. I have one customer who wants 5 dozen each Thursday (for her and her sister). Right now I have 27 hens, but they are molting and not laying well ~ my customers are calling regularly to see if I have any eggs to sell yet.

6. weebles&wobblesmom

Mar 24, 2011
    I can't put mine out because, unfortunately, we can NOT trust people very much here. Our luck someone would either take the eggs or the money.

Thank you

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

weebles&wobblesmom :

I can't put mine out because, unfortunately, we can NOT trust people very much here. Our luck someone would either take the eggs or the money.

Thank you

Pity ~ people here have been very good ~ in fact on more than one occasion I have found an extra dollar in the tin as the buyer didn't have change and left a $5. bill for 2 dozen. I sell them for $2. a dozen.​

8. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Cleanliness and Uniformity!

Cleanliness - No need to wash or rinse.
    Eggs are naturally clean when laid.
    Just keep living quarters and nesting material clean and 90% of your eggs will be clean.
    If they are not clean, for whatever reason, keep them for other uses, don't sell to the public.
    Candle Eggs! The public does not understand or appreciate bloodspots (or other internal issues).

Uniformity- Sell your eggs according to size (and color to a lesser extent).
    Buy a uniform set of cartons and use them exclusively.
    Nothing says "haphazard" or "amateur" more than eggs of differing sizes and colors in a random egg carton.

Cleanliness and Uniformity along with a fair price will almost guarantee you repeat customers!

Good Luck,
    spot

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  9. weebles&wobblesmom

Mar 24, 2011
    I will have a small problem with selling them by size. I get more brown than white, so selling white eggs will take a little longer right now. (Since their laying has slowed) I get 2 different size brown ( and white actually).

I average a dozen a day but they are of varying sizes. Maybe, until they start laying more, I should just give them to friends until I can get enough of each size and color to sell.

I was just thinking of letting people know that they are mixed sizes and colors.

By the way, what is the best way to candle a brown egg? They are harder to do than white.

Sorry to sound stupid but this is all new to me. I just started with chickens back in April and they just started laying a few months ago.

With the amount of eggs Im getting now (on the "off season", so to speak) I hate to see how many I get come Spring.....LOL

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

weebles&wobblesmom :

Or both. [​IMG]

We recently just got our first real serious egg customer, called me yesterday for 4 dozen eggs! I had 3-1/2 dozen that I took over, is gonna want another 3-4 dozen this time next week. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but... OH NO! EVERYBODY decided to molt all at once! We got 2 eggs yesterday, none the previous day or the day before that, and we have gotten 1 egg so far today. Normally I get about 7-8 eggs a day, and I have a whole bunch of pullets (11) that will be reaching POL in the next 4-6 weeks plus 2 more that should start laying any day now. We have 9 laying & will be lucky if we get half a dozen this week because the hens are all molting. Even the lead rooster is molting!

Got lotsa pretty feathers in the yard, though. [​IMG]) Good thing I'm crafty!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by