Selling Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SarahBethsMommy, Aug 14, 2013.

1. SarahBethsMommy

SarahBethsMommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Anyone sell your eggs? How do you gage what to price them? I'm getting 4-5 eggs per day right now (I have 5 hens) and we have a pretty good amount in our fridge. I had a friend who wanted to buy some, but I don't have any idea what to charge her? Is $4 a dozen ridiculous or reasonable?

They are all about Medium eggs I'd say... one or two jumbo in there. Mostly white (I have one red hen, so her's are brown).

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I sold my eggs for $4/dozen but to be competitive with local sellers ask $3/dozen and more in the winter and mention the farm fresh taste and the healthy, happy chickens.

3. SarahBethsMommy

SarahBethsMommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Thank you! I haven't found any farm fresh eggs at my local farmer's market, so I didn't know what to price them.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Around here it's $1.50 a dozen

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And I'd so be losing money at that price. I refuse to sell at a loss. I do give a lot of eggs away, but if I'm selling something, I get a fair price for it. Here, I'm at the low end at $3 a dozen.

6. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Check your local area (craigslist in the farming section) . Around here they go from 2 - 6 dollars a doz. I sell mine for $3 when I have extra.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    That's your location and price is something that the OP will not be able to decide based off comments made of this site. They will have to find out what the prices are in their area. Where I am why would I sell at $3 if everyone else is selling at $1.50 [​IMG] Doesn't seem very smart to me. I don't plan on selling though, I plan on giving them to family and friends. I didn't buy chickens to sell their eggs anyways

8. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    I feed soy-free organic only, so I sell eggs at $4.50 a dozen and never have enough eggs to supply to all who want it. Between what I sell and what we consume at home, it totally pays for the expensive organic feed. [​IMG]

it all depends on where you live and how you market them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by