1. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    How much can I sell a half dozen of unfertilized eggs for?

How much can I sell a half dozen of fertilized eggs for?

Oh quick question:

If i have a coop with 5 hens and a rooster would every egg be fertile?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It seems you are asking about selling eating eggs vs. hatching eggs - as fertilized eggs (and yes, in that scenario, it is likely that most of your eggs are going to be fertilized) can be sold as either. Eating egg prices will depend on the local market, I would look around you and find out what others are selling farm fresh eggs for and go from there in setting your own price. Hatching egg prices depend on the breed - if you have a mixed flock with different breeds of birds, you will be producing "barnyard mix" chicks, which are great for production, but don't demand the same price as some of the more sought after pure bred birds.

4. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Ok thanks

5. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    You can easily get close if not 100% fertility from 1rooster and 5 hens a single hen can produce a fertile egg for 10 to 12 or so days from a single mating. The egg question is rather vague. 1st you need to sell them as at least a dozen. And what kind of fowl do you have? What I call regular chickens ie: layers are going to be monetary worth less than say show, bantams, or the rarer more exotic breeds. One good thing is that once you build your clientele of eating egg buyers they will start expecting their eggs

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by