Selling extra eggs at the roadside... do you refrigerate them or not?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SeaChick, May 22, 2014.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I usually have a couple dozen extra eggs each week, and have been putting them on a little table at the side of the road and selling them. It's been cool, so I have not worried about refrigeration.

Now that it's getting warmer, I'm wondering what to do. Clearly, a day at room temp makes no difference for fresh eggs. What if they've already been refrigerated? (They will have spent a day or two in the frdge prior to going out for sale.) Also - I'd like my "customers" to get the freshest eggs possible, and being warmer will shorten their shelf life.

On the other hand, a cooler just isn't as pretty and appealing as a pretty table! But maybe necessary.

What do you guys do?

Also- what are you charging? I was asking $4.00 for my free-range, organically-fed eggs but then I saw them for $5.00 at a local shop. Since mine have the added advantage of being multi-colored from my Easter Eggers, I raised my price. Too high?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You should check your state laws. In WA if I remember correctly they require refrigeration and new egg cartons- but I have never sold eggs - I just looked it up awhile back out of curiosity, so I don't really remember.

One lady down the road used to have a little refrigerator outside and a collection coffee tin inside the fridge where you put your money. That was before we got our own chickens.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Prices change depending on where you are, I sell mine for $3.75 and that's a little above the going price out here. Prices change greatly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: