selling extra male chicks as reptile food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowlwoman1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Wenatchee, WA
I'm planning on hatching a lot of chicks this spring and selling the females to the local feed store. So I'm considering selling the males as reptile food. I'm pretty good at sexing the chicks in their first days of life based on a combination of their behavior and physical characteristics. I was wondering if anyone else here does or has done that kind of thing.

I don't do it, we grow out and butcher all males, but don't see anything wrong with it if you've got the demand. That said, if you're going to hatch/sell as a business venture in this way I would strongly suggest you use a more reliable sexing method. "Pretty good" isn't good enough on that scale. Learn to vent sex.

sad.png
I love my roos. Though I understand you not wanting them. Wouldn't it be better to raise them to adults and process them for dinner?

Hey Snakes gotta eat too, I think it's a fine idea.

AL

when I first started hatching a couple of years ago, I tried to learn vent sexing, but there just wasn't enough information out there that I could access about it. I'm about 90% accurate using my own methods, which is probably no worse than I'd be able to do if I learned to vent sex. It takes a lot of experience to get better than 90% accuracy vent sexing. I don't have the space to grow 100+ roosters. Plus, all that feed would equal very expensive chicken. I've had someone process some of our roos before and my family didn't exactly gobble them up.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but why not just raise sex links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom