selling extra male chicks as reptile food?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I'm planning on hatching a lot of chicks this spring and selling the females to the local feed store. So I'm considering selling the males as reptile food. I'm pretty good at sexing the chicks in their first days of life based on a combination of their behavior and physical characteristics. I was wondering if anyone else here does or has done that kind of thing.

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I don't do it, we grow out and butcher all males, but don't see anything wrong with it if you've got the demand. That said, if you're going to hatch/sell as a business venture in this way I would strongly suggest you use a more reliable sexing method. "Pretty good" isn't good enough on that scale. Learn to vent sex.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I love my roos. Though I understand you not wanting them. Wouldn't it be better to raise them to adults and process them for dinner?

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Hey Snakes gotta eat too, I think it's a fine idea.

AL

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Personally, that's a horrifying thought and a terrible way for any creature to die. If you don't want to raise them up yourself then why not sell them to someone else who will?

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am not bashing the OP, I just think it more humane to raise them for dinner. I don't like reptiles much.

8. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    when I first started hatching a couple of years ago, I tried to learn vent sexing, but there just wasn't enough information out there that I could access about it. I'm about 90% accurate using my own methods, which is probably no worse than I'd be able to do if I learned to vent sex. It takes a lot of experience to get better than 90% accuracy vent sexing. I don't have the space to grow 100+ roosters. Plus, all that feed would equal very expensive chicken. I've had someone process some of our roos before and my family didn't exactly gobble them up.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I think so, too. Many people simply do not have the money or facilities to raise a bunch of extra roosters. If you can sell them, more power to ya! Good luck!

10. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Forgive me for stating the obvious, but why not just raise sex links?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by