selling extra male chicks as reptile food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If you are hatching eggs, even if they are sexlinks you will end up with approximately 50% roosters.. Personally, I don't see any difference in selling the roosters to someone who is planning on eating them themselves or feeding them to another animal. When you sell an animal to someone else, you have no guarantee what treatment the new owner is going to give them regardless of what they tell you. If it really matters to you how that animal is treated for the rest of its life, you are going to have to keep it yourself in order to have any type of guarantee.. JMO

:)

I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with selling them. I would like to sell them live, but I'm thinking I might have to euthanize them myself, which would be hard for me and my family. I've euthanized sick chicks befrore, which wasn"t too bad, but killing healthy chicks would be hard.

I don't see what the difference is between killing and eating them or a reptile killing or eating them. We all gotta eat to live. However, that being said, I had a friend who tried to feed their incredible massive snake a live chicken and it pecked out the snakes eye. So, the general recommendation from him was...rats and mice are cheaper and safer. I don't know how good of a business you'd get.

that's pretty cool... i used to feed my old varanus albigarus and albigarus albigarus baby chicks all the time... i have a snake, and i feed her quail eggs, and sometimes baby quails... i see nothing wrong about you selling they for feed... do it... you can sell them for more that way too...

It is no different than the folks who raise mice and rat's to sell as reptile food, or perhaps we shouldn't feed our chickens worms or crickets and such either, it's all the same so really all the touchy feely stuff has no merit.

AL

Quote:
tongue.gif

Quote:
I think so, too. Many people simply do not have the money or facilities to raise a bunch of extra roosters. If you can sell them, more power to ya! Good luck!

Regardless of how anyone feels about it being an inhumane way for the chick to die, it's all part of the food chain. Snakes in the wild are no different than pet snakes as far as feeding goes--their method of 'euthanizing' their food doesnt change.
I think it's a good idea as well & it might help with the chicken feed bill...in these hard times, every little bit helps!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I have never really thought of selling my unwanted chicks as reptile food. Hum....pretty good idea. I always have a extremely hard time even trying to give extra roosters away. Some reptile owners might prefer live food or fresh food (meaning they would dispatch the chicks themselves). That sounds like it would be more nutritional than pre-frozen mice/rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom