Selling fake eggs Yikes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thought , I'd ask. I go out to the coop get a few eggs. I thank the girls for the eggs & go back to the barnominum & write down my finds on the calendar. No problem. Back to work on the garden right by the coop. I hear the girls celebrating . So, I go back in the coop & yes another egg. Yay. I collect the egg & I'm looking in the other nest & there's one fake egg missing. I look around & its not there. Back to the barnominum to put the egg up . I'm still thinking about the missing fake egg. Sure enough its mixed in with the others in the carton. Has anybody sold fake eggs by mistake?

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Haven't sold any fake eggs, but my family did have a good laugh after my daughter collected eggs for the first time and I spend a good minute trying to crack what seemed like an invincible egg for breakfast!

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I had to put an X on my fake eggs because they were faking me out too! Once I had to bring a "known fake" out to compare the real egg to, just to be sure. Shhhh, don't tell anybody! [​IMG]

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    That's why I use golf balls. They seem to work just as well.

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yes, I marked the one egg already. Guess , I need to mark the others as well. I thought I had sold it but am glad I didn't. The fake egg looks identical to the ones their laying.

6. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Quote:I do the same. My poor hens are looking at there eggs like" wait a second what's wrong with my egg?"
    poor things thinking they're eggs should look like golf balls. [​IMG]

7. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Quote:I do the same. My poor hens are looking at there eggs like" wait a second what's wrong with my egg?"

Me too. I also use yellow and pink ones. They are much easier to see in the nest boxes, because every once in a while, I end up with a round "ish" egg.

8. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Not when it is a bright blue plastic Easter egg with a rock in it!! LOL!

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas

Heck, if thats the case I need to go back & get the jumbo fake eggs & up the price. LOL!!!

10. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    why do you put fake eggs in the nest on an ongoing basis? I thought once they got the idea where to lay, you didn't need to do that anymore?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by