Selling Fertile Eggs vs Hatching Chicks vs Pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CowgirlHC, Dec 8, 2012.

1. CowgirlHC

CowgirlHC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    Hi Everyone. Im looking to expand our chicken business and m looking for any and all feed back. Right now wer hobbyist w/ 24 hens of 5 breeds and 1 BO roo. We sell our eggs w/ the only goal being to cover feed costs (so far so good). So now we want to go a step farther but to which direction Im not sure. For those w/ experience, which would you do and why? Sell fertile eggs? Hatch eggs and sell peeps? Hatch or buy peeps and sell as pullets? Im not looking to get rich but self sustaining is a must once we get up and running. Thanks!

2. mcoleman12

mcoleman12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Hi! I have pondered this question myself, but it's a long way off for me because I don't have a chicken even laying eggs yet. I can tell you I have bought lots of chicks from people! I have 50 chicks 5 weeks old now, and they eat about 50lbs a week in starter. I would love to be able to sell enough of something to cover food cost! As a consumer, I'm always looking for new chicks to add to my flock though- I don't have such good luck introducing new chickens to my to small to eat but big enough to annoy roosters. Good luck!

3. CowgirlHC

CowgirlHC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    I guess a lot probably has to do with your atea, too. selling a couple day old chicks chicks seems like it would have tje least time amd labor considering your expenses would only be the incubator then your eggs. A good point brought up though is if alot of people want sexed chicks and you got to get good at that. but then, what do you do w/ all your little roos?? I feel bad for roos lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by