selling Fertile Eggs

fikeyismybaby

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Parkland,Wa
I want to start selling fertile eggs. I have a pen dedicated to just bearded b/b/s silkies and the eggs I have collected have the bullseye of fertility. The silkies are all show or breeder quality. Is there anything I should know or do before selling them as fertile? What would be a good asking price for a dozen since they are pure bred and good quality?

Check to see if you are required to have any permits. Technically even if you aren't required to have it for instate sales, NPIP is beneficial if you want to sell across state lines.

Here in Maryland you have to be NPIP and have a permit to sell hatching eggs.

Keep regular checks on fertility and have a disclaimer or other plan (replacement, refund, etc) in place for times when fertility rates are "off".

Use to sell fertile eggs. So many things could go wrong on the customers end. In the end I gave disclaimers on my cartons and no guarantee labels after phone calls 24 days later with upset people resulting from poor hatch rates.
I have pretty good rates but it took practice.
Most customers I had never hatched before and more or less blamed my eggs for their unsuccessfulness.
In the end we stopped advertising fertile eggs and now sell them only to a small handful of people that know what they are doing.
Not saying you shouldn't do it, just expect those negative phone calls.
Best regards,
FC
:)

Back
Top Bottom