Selling fertile eggs....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blckbrnfamly, Mar 17, 2012.

1. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    I had a neighbor come by today and ask for a dozen fertile eggs.... My rooster is an EE and the hens I have are a, Barred Rock a Light Brahama and some mixed breed given to me. She is very interested and I have no idea how much to sell them for. Can any one give me an idea of what I should be asking for them. And she wants to buy one of my young roosters.... I have no idea what price I should through out on that... I told her she could just have one but she wants prices.... So any help with price ranges would be nice! Thanks so much!

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I would look on your local craigslist and see what local prices are.
    The prices vary from location to location so what might sell here for $10 sells there for $5 or reverse...

3. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    That is probably the best advice. I know what I'd charge here in wine country, but that probably doesn't help you there! But think about this...people can go to Trader Joe's, but their fertilized eggs, and the figure I've heard is that even after the eggs sitting there, they get 20%ish hatch rate! Crazy. Since you have a nice backyard mix but no actual purebred (eggs), probably $4 or $5 would be fair. As for a cockerel price...I know what my local farm store will pay me for a mixed breed, and usually go by that figure. Many people just give away their extra cockerels! Cheers!

4. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I sell my cockerels for their weight in meat or more...
    If the bird is 8lbs then dressed is about 4-5lbs... so I estimate what 5lbs of quality chicken cost..... and that is my bottom price....
    If the cockerel has any traits/breeding/etc going for him factor that in and that should be the cost.

That being said... I have given cockerels away when I knew the person taking them would have them as pets, or given them to families whom I know are either in need or hard pressed to get decent food for their family.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by