Selling fertilized eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TamiHunter, Nov 10, 2009.

1. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I was wondering on how much I could sell my fertilized silkie eggs for. How much per egg...

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Are they pet quality or show quality? Where did you get them from? Do you have them penned separately by color or are they all together? There are a lot of factors.

3. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I have them all together. Got them from McMurray hatchery and I have papers for showing them if I want. Right now they are just pets. I have whites, buffs and blacks.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If they're from a hatchery people won't be willing to pay as much as if they were from a good breeder. I don't quite know what you mean about the paper for showing them.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have papers for showing them if I want

Since chickens don't have pedigrees, do you mean NPIP certification or vet's certificate of health?​

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Since chickens don't have pedigrees, do you mean NPIP certification or vet's certificate of health?

I didn't think of that kind of paper.

7. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    The hatchery sent me a "right to show" paper. That's all. They didn't send me any other paperwork.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Anyone can show any bird they want to enter in a show, so I'm not sure what the point of that paper is. Honestly the birds that come from a hatchery that are show quality are few and far between.

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Since they're hatchery birds and they're all mixed colors I would say you could sell a dozen for around $10-12.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Never heard of a "right to show" paper. Very weird. Depending on the quality of the parent stock, many charge 50 cents to $1 per egg, plus shipping, for hatching eggs. Some with great stock, a rare breed in a good quality, or just the fad breed of the moment, may charge more than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by