Selling Fibro Meat Birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Naamahbengals, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Hi everyone - I am going to start processing my extra birds this year for meat, and intend to sell it. (I already have the proper USDA stuffs required in advance, but I can only sell direct to consumer currently; not to markets, etc.) With my new project, pretty much all the birds I am processing will be fibro - either full, like silkies, or partial (the lower crosses) that are more gray. However, I'm unsure the price I should offer them as, per pound. There's lots of hand-processed chicken offered locally (on CL, etc), but it's all regular broilers. I know fibro is especially popular in the asian cuisine. Does anyone else process and sell their fibro birds (to individuals, not markets or restaurants)? What price do you ask for them?

Thanks!

2. Clsikes

Clsikes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    What all did you have to go through with the USDA to do this? It is something that I have been interested in.

3. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    It really depends on where you are - I was directed to the CA USDA, then the Socal USDA, then the San Diego USDA, and from there we had to talk back and forth for a while. So it really depends on the laws in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by