selling full size chickens vs Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by caseebeths, Feb 7, 2014.

1. caseebeths

caseebeths Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Just wondering to all those who sell chickens. Do you all find it much harder to sell silkies than say regular full size chickens? I always sell out of all my regular chicks quickly and i have recently starting selling silkies which are not selling. What do you all find to be the norm? ?

Thanks
    Casee

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I don't know what the norm is for selling chicks, but have you tried some of the selling points? Silkies have a few different needs like warmth requirements and vitamin problems (sometimes need B2). Your selling points could be: Known breed for great brooders, and smaller so you can have more. The first time I bought a Silkie (just started with chickens) I had no clue what they were. The breeder had one that was about a month old that wasn't selling. She told me that that one was a great breed for brooding and a broody is better and easier then incubating. I was sold on the spot and have since gone back to her for a few more. Another thing you can do is keep a few pictures of full grown ones around to show to customers. They are pretty to most females and kids and would be great selling points.

1 person likes this.
  3. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    It really depends on where you live. I'm always asked when/if I have silkies available for sale, though most folks want pullets/hens and not straight run chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by