selling goose eggs to crafts stores?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, Sep 23, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i read in a book that some people sell their goose eggs to craft stores to pay for the feed costs.
    at this site they are selling eggs for $3 each to be used for crafts
    http://www.woodworkersauction.com/Tline/Eggs/eggs.htm
    just curious if anyone has every dose this with their goose eggs?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Yes I have, please be aware that those kind of places usually give you the producer less than Half of what they sell them for, and for that you are expected to "blow" the egg using only one hole, and clean and sanitize both the inside and outside of the eggs and you pay to ship the shells to them. Once you have built yourself a rig to make the hole and blow the egg contents out through that hole it can go pretty fast(~10 eggs/hour) and you get the insides of the eggs to cook and feed to dogs or chickens. It has been a while but I used to use a solution made to get blood stains out of clothing. You remove most of the egg contents (whites and yolks) then fill the eggs with the cleaning solution and let them sit overnight for the solution to 'eat' the remaining protein. In the morning save the solution for more uses. Rinse with a mild bleach solution allow to drain blow out the last of the bleach and let them dry very well (Any solution left on the inside of the egg gives them( the buyers) reason for rejection at no pay to you. Before you submit any be SURE TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHERE THEY WANT THE HOLE AND THE LARGEST HOLE THEY WILL ACCEPT(the bigger holes allow you to blow the egg with much less time and effort, Most want the hole to be in the big end directly opposite the point but some want it to be in the point. Odd shaped or colored eggs will be rejected by most, but some places have customers who are looking for odd eggs to use in their projects. Rule of thumb larger eggs are worth more and they are sized in the trade by measuring the longest way around from point around the long way and back to the point. Use a length of string and lay it down next to a ruler. 7-9 inchesit typical for goose eggs. If you have more questions post again with 'gd' in the heading and I will try to answer

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I sell mine. I scrub well with hot soapy water, Dremel a 3/16 hole in each end, blow, rinse and drain dry.
    I have no trouble selling them for $2 each locally and online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by