1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Selling Horse Trailer

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 13, 2011.

  1. rodriguezpoultry

    rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

    Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So, I purchased a horse trailer earlier this year. It worked well for what we needed it for, we just don't need it any longer.

    Thing is, I purchased it where there is no need for a title, so there never was one. I have a handwritten bill of sale, which was all that was needed.

    WELL, since we've moved up north, they must have a title for use. How do I do go about getting this? It's in PA now and we're trying to sell it, but without a title, we seem to be having little to no luck? It has a VIN and was not homemade.

    Any ideas? Again, no title, no registration, no tags. We called up the person that previously owned the trailer and was told to:

    "Look up any name in a Kansas phone book, pick an address that does not correspond, but it has to be in KS. Write up the bill of sale and write the amount that you paid. That's all you need for a title in KS. Then, you can just transfer to the state up there."

    That seems a bit illegal to me....
  2. KenK

    KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 23, 2011
    Could you just say it's homemade?
  3. rodriguezpoultry

    rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

    Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I "could" but there is a serial number as well as the "brand name" on it.

    BUT...the tongue IS shorter...could that render it homemade?
  4. Bear Foot Farm

    Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

    Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    BUT...the tongue IS shorter...could that render it homemade?


    I'd call the DMV and explain the situation and ask how to apply for a title​
  5. Oregon Blues

    Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

    Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'd get it titled in the state where you purchased it, since all they require is the bill of sale. Then you can transfer the title.

    It sounds suspiciously like you purchased a stolen trailer.
  6. rodriguezpoultry

    rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

    Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    That's what I thought, but according to the DMV, nothing has been reported with that serial number?

    Also found out that even though I have no information regarding the previous owners, I can get it titled. It has to be inspected, weighed and photographed. Also must have a vehicle transfer form notarized, basically a bill of sale.

    Weird. Just blows my mind how different laws can be.
  7. justbugged

    justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

    Jan 27, 2009
    You just apply for a lost title with the State where you originally bought it. The DMV will research the title, to check for any other prior claims of ownership. But with a bill of sale you shouldn't have a problem.

    I just caught that you now know what to do. I hope it all goes well for you. It strike me that most States require a valid title. You can be fined here in the State of Washington if the title is taken care of with I think 15 days after you buy the vehicle. This includes moving into the State with your car. The law says you 15 days to transfer the title, and unless you can prove that you have already paid sales tax on the vehicle, they make us pay sales tax on the blue book value of the vehicle too. It isn't cheap to get this done, if the vehicle is newer.

    I also know that if you are required to pay taxes on the vehicle that you must keep all the records that show what you have paid, otherwise if there are any changes on the title later, and you can't prove that you have paid the sales tax, the State will make you pay again. They don't keep any records (supposedly) about what taxes have been paid on the vehicle in the past. [​IMG]
  8. rodriguezpoultry

    rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

    Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    What happened to just paying with a cow.... *sigh*
  9. critterranch

    critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    just home made thats what everyone says when they dont have titles
  10. LegginMF12

    LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    If need be you can take it to a junk yard and they will register it as a salvage. Voila' now you have a legal title. I had to do that with one of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by