Selling laying hens, will production suffer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by All about the EGG, Jul 19, 2008.

1. At some point in the future, we will have to part with 2 of our 5 sex links. They are just getting too big for our yard and run. We bought 5 chics, with the idea we would lose 1 or 2. That did not happen. Would it be wise to sell them before they start to lay? They are 13 weeks old. Thanks.

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I would sell them before they are laying if you are going to sell them, but with that said it should only faulter their laying by a couple days if they are laying. A friend of mine bought a couple older hens a month or so ago and they laid in the box on the way home after beeing at a sale all day and have never missed a lick on dropping an egg since.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Hobby

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:It couldnt hurt. The one question people always ask me is, "Do they lay eggs?"

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have found that the younger they are the easier they take to change.

Matt

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    You can sell them now or later. Once they start to lay they may take a week or so to get back to egg laying at their new place. I bought some 1 year olds and was told to give them 2 weeks before expecting an egg and only waited 2 days before the eggs started coming.

6. Thanks for the info. I would rather sell a laying hen if given a choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by