Selling me a fake Brahma? UPDATED w/Pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenmckin, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jenmckin

jenmckin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    NW Mississippi
    There is a man here locally that is selling chickens and he picked up a couple that were sold to him a light brahmas yesterday. Knowing that I was looking for some, he let me bring them home today and pay him tomorrow...but there is only one problem my husband and I noticed....they don't have feathered feet.

They are IDENTICAL to every light brahma picture I've ever seen...only their feet aren't feathered. Does anyone have any explanation for this? Is he selling me a mixed breed? I don't want a "fake" brahma. I want a real one!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    No feathered feet could not be a brahma...are the legs and feets damaged from picking where something has picked their feather off their feet?

If not, look at pictures of the columbian varieties (wyandottes especially)...they are very similar patterned in markings but do not have leg and foot feathering.

Scroll down about one-quarter the way down the page and look at the columbian wyandotte

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

check out the Delawares here:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Dels/BRKDelawares.html

Here is your light brahma

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrahma.html

If it is not one of those three, it is probably a cross of some sort. Can you post pics?

3. jenmckin

Apr 30, 2008
    NW Mississippi
    I think you're right. I think we have Columbian Wyandottes. I don't think that the man that is selling them even knows really. Day before yesterday we had an argument up and down that Brahmas only came in Bantam. I tried to explain to him that there were standard breeds and he disagreed with me. I guess I should have known then.

Not that I mind really...I think they are beautiful birds and I love Wyandottes.

I guess I'm still waiting on my Brahmas....

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    could you post some pics? I have some Delawares and I can really tell if yours are delawares

5. jenmckin

Apr 30, 2008
    NW Mississippi
    I can post some pictures in the morning. We just got them this afternoon.

From the pictures I've looked at online...they don't look like Delawares to me.

I'll have them up first thing in the morning after I go check for eggs. [​IMG]

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    After looking at the websites Cetawyn posted, I noticed all 3 breeds have different comb types (rose comb, pea comb, & straight comb). When you go out there in the morning, you can check their combs too.

7. jenmckin

Apr 30, 2008
    NW Mississippi
    I can already tell you that the rooster that we got especially has what I think is called a rose comb. It is wide and almost squished on his face. lol I thought it looked odd when we got him today.

8. jenmckin

Apr 30, 2008
    NW Mississippi
    Okay here is a picture of my roo

[​IMG]

and here is a picture of my hen and roo together

[​IMG]

I definitely think they are the Columbian Wyandottes

Which makes me still Brahma-less. [​IMG]

I don't mind really...but I would love some Brahmas.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yep, look like Columbian Wyandottes to me!

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Agreed. The male isn't too bad-for a Columbian. A little long in the back maybe but good colour & not a bad head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by