Selling meat/ethics question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mattcavender94, Nov 14, 2016.

1. mattcavender94

mattcavender94 New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    I am considering buying Quail to sell eggs,breeding stock, and meat. The meat is where I am hung up. I don't want to do anything illegal but I also don't have time or money to get certified or inspected to sell meat. So, my question is can I sell a live bird to an individual then prepare it for them as vacuum sealed meat? That way I am not selling the meat directly? Is this too back door to be ethical?

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I know there are folks that do that with chickens. I've read that most of them think the authorities don't care/won't pay them attention unless they sell over a certain amount. I think they get around it by selling the birds live and not butchering until after the customer has paid. I personally don't find it to be unethical. I think it's a personal decision you have to make for yourself since you are the one taking the risk.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea but in all hands trying to find the rules and regulations regarding this is a *****. I've looked everywhere for rules and have yet to find one single shred for california about selling it on a small scale.

4. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I don't think most states differenceIt on size. It's just most people believe the authorities won't bother dealing with small scale/backyard operations. If no one reports you they aren't really going to know what you're up too.

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Well, in CO, its perfectly legal to sell eggs, animals, butchered meat, etc to another person. What's NOT legal without licensing is selling it to a business, like a restaurant or grocer.

If we make more than $10,000, we have to pay taxes on the income. Or, you can trade a half a beef for 100 chickens lol, and pay no taxes :D

To state that your product is organic has to be certified as well.

I don't know the laws in other states, though.

6. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    This link has helpful information in regards to federal laws and the often quoted 1,000 bird limit.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/33350/poultry-processing-regulations-and-exemptions

In regards to CO law, all livestock meat sold to customers must be processed in an USDA inspected facility. Those selling 'exotic' meat (quail fall under this) can volunteer for inspection. The exception for inspection is if the meat is being consumed by the animal's owner, their family, and/or guests.

An excerpt from http://cofarmtomarket.com/value-added-products/meat-2/

"You are selling your product from your farm or ranch

By the cut: If you are selling processed and packaged meat from animals you own, to customers coming to your farm or ranch, the animals must be slaughtered in a USDA FSIS inspected facility and you will need a Retail Food Establishment License, issued by your county health department.

By the whole animal or portion (halves or quarters) of the animal: If you are processing an animal for consumption by the owner of the animal, this meat does not require USDA inspection – it is considered custom-exempt, meaning a processor that does not require continuous inspection because they only process meat for the owner of the animal. The meat or poultry cannot be sold and can only be consumed by the following:

• The owner of the animal
    • The owner’s immediate family
    • Non-paying guests

Custom processed meat and poultry must be labeled with “NOT FOR SALE.”"

If you sell the animal first it is then technically owned by the customer. That is why people sell the birds live and then process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by