Selling most of my ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Feb 4, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, I've finally made a decision. I've been debating this for a long time--do I wait until mid-summer, after the hatching frenzy is over, do I sell only one line and develop the other two, do I just keep on keeping on... and I've finally worried on it long enough to feel the answer in my heart: I'm going to sell most of my ducks.

I am going to keep my four magpies from Holderread, and possibly the two Runner drakes. I know it's kind of crazy to keep the drakes, but they're so bonded to the magpies they grew up with that I hate to separate them. On the other hand, I may let them go if someone awesome (like gofaster with her two Holderread boys from me) wants to take them together so they won't be separated. I'm going to let all the rest of my Runners go--mostly hens, some tuxedo blues but mostly silver, lavender, blue, and black and one fawn/white. I hope most of them can stay together, and that their Toulouse gander can stay with them, as he grew up with them and has never bonded with any other birds including the goose I adopted for him as a companion. I'm also seeking a new home for my Chinese white goose with the amputated wing--I need to check with the rescue where I adopted her to make sure it's really okay if I find her a good home, but she's not happy here--she has never been accepted by any of the other birds and has been a complete loner, seeking me out for company and getting very little of that since I'm so rarely able to be out in the yard for very long now.

Anyway, I'm sad about the decision, but also relieved. My life has grown burdened with too many things to do, too many responsibilities, and I am desperately needing to simplify and pare down to only those things that give me the most joy. The ducks qualify for that, but I don't find having 20 to be particularly more joyful than having four, while it is significantly more work. Once breeding season hits, I'm going to have a challenge on my hands keeping the lines separated and frankly, the small amount of income from hatching is really not worth the hours invested. I do plan to do some hatching this spring (starting pretty much as soon as they start laying AND I can get them separated), but it will be only for myself and a select few I enjoy working with.

I may eventually add a couple or three more hens and maybe a drake from Holderread, but time will tell.

Anyway, I will still be active here but I have been thinking about this for so long I wanted to make it official, and I wanted to do it in this forum that has been such a help and a home to me in my ducky journeys. [​IMG]

(And of course I'll be posting what I've got available in the buy/sell section if you're interested--I LOVE selling to BYC'ers as ya'll are the best).

2. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Good for you- for making the hard decision to simplify. It's so easy to get things all complicated and so difficult to let go. But once the decision is made, life gets a little easier. I hope you find good homes for your friends.

(I made that decision when I left hubby #2 [​IMG] Not easy, but definitely simplified my life.)

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I know how hard that decision is, iamcuriositycat! [​IMG]

I moved from my family's 7 acre "farmette" recently and into town to be closer to my college campus and my boyfriend's job. Last week, I rehomed ALL of my ducks besides 6 Hookbills, 4 Calls, 4 Stanbridge Whites, 1 Runner, 1 Mallard, and 1 Khaki Campbell - I know that's still 17 ducks, but that's WAY down from the 47 I had, I rehomed THIRTY of them! [​IMG]

Anyways, my 11-year-old sister is taking over the remaining birds (she's going to hatch from the ducks and my Sebastopol Geese for 4-H this year, I'm looking forward to going to the fair and seeing my "grand-duckies"!), and I'll be able to start over with their offspring and carry on the same bloodlines in a year or two when I'm done with school and back in the country where there's no "4 hens and NO roosters" city ordinance! [​IMG] It'll be nice to have the time to think and plan better and decide what I want to focus on, instead of having 10 projects going on at once! [​IMG]

4. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    iamcuriositycat, i came accross your thread and see your in charlotte! im about an hour away, i have been wanting some ducks now for a while, i have a big pond here that needs some ducks [​IMG] i would love to talk with you if you'd like to PM me with details! [​IMG]

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I wish I lived closer to you I would help you out with your ducks and toulouse. I'm in Rocky Point NC just outside of Wilmington. I just don't have a vehicle that is dependible for the drive. Good luck though. I know it's a tough decision but I'm sure it is one that will make you happy in the long run.

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Bless your heart, Thank you for those kinds words, that really touched me. If you get desperate, give me a shout, Ill take a few females if need be.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm sure it is hard for you to rehome your ducks, but it is a very unselfish thing to do.
    I hope you find good homes for them.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, guys! It's nice to hear the affirmation that this was not a terrible decision. [​IMG] After they adjust to their smaller flock size, I think my birds may be happier in the smaller group where they get more attention too.

birdbrain, I sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't get it. You can also view details in the "Buy/Sell" section. My entry is already near the bottom of the front page, but you'll see it there if you scroll down (I basically just copied & pasted that info into my PM to you, with an extra picture).

crj--If you're seriously interested in the entire group together, and you have an awesome set-up & a commitment to keep the group together, I might be interested in discussing meeting halfway or something... how far exactly is the drive? I would love for the group to go together, especially the goose who really NEEDS to be with his family. He already lost his goose brother to a domestic dog (grrrrr!!!!). We believe his brother was defending the flock while he herded them down to safety at the lake--they worked together to save my flock, and his brother gave his life for it. So Hercules deserves to have a forever home with his family. Geese are SO intelligent. Anyway, I'm willing to go an extra mile for the right situation for Herc. I wish I could keep him, but he's not bonded to the ducks I'm planning to keep, as they were raised separately and have held themselves apart from the larger flock. (However, I should add, Hercules can be a handful if you're not very firm with him--he will try to take the "leader" role in the barnyard and anyone who is intimidated by him might get attacked--I've trained my children to be firm and dominant with him, but he used to attack my youngest--just a word to the wise--I would hate for him to be re-homed for aggression just because the new owner didn't know it can be a problem & how to handle it).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my streamlined flock, but it is hard imagining letting them go. I worry about them! Thanks for all the great support here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by