Selling newly hatched chicks with their moms. Will they be okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinyLittleFarm, May 17, 2011.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have 3 Silkie pullets that I have because they were a rescue. They are the broodiest things in the world. Two are setting right now. While they are cute as can be, my coop is a bit crowded and the constant broodiness is making me nuts. Once the eggs they are sitting on hatch (I'm only letting each girl sit on 2 eggs), do I have to wait a certain period of time before rehoming the silkies? I would insist that the buyer take the newly hatched babes because it would seem cruel to me to separate the babies from their mamas, and I don't really want the chicks anyway.

I'd actually love to just pick them up off their nests and rehome them asap, but can you rehome a broody?

I'm just worried if I rehome the whole group that the mamas will forget about their babies and not be good moms or something. I have no idea...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't think I've ever seen or thought about this question, and I use broodies. It might work fine. That mother/chick bond is pretty strong; maybe a move wouldn't be any big deal to them. Maybe someone will come along who has actually done this. I do know that if I don't like where the broody is nesting, it works fine to move them all once the chicks hatch, and not so well while she is still setting.

I know I would not sell the mama unless the buyer took the chicks, not while she is still mothering them. I'd be afraid she would grieve too much; I've read how much this can upset a mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by