Selling on Ebay

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MysticScorpio82, Jul 1, 2010.

1. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Does anyone have any tips or advice for selling on Ebay? I have never sold on ebay before (but I have purchased), and I have a bunch of things around the house collecting dust that I would like to sell (we need the money). I have no clue what to do, lol. Thank you all in advance for your help!! [​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I usually check to see if there are similar items listed for sale, if and how much they sell for, etc. Think about the items you have bought. What attracted you to those specific listings, versus ones for similar items for sale?

You don't have to post a ton of pics with your listing, but DO post the best ones you can. Provide as much (accurate) information in your listing as possible, and spell check.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Another tip...be sure to weigh the items including box/packaging BEFORE you list it so you know how much shipping to charge. My biggest mistake in the past has been from not charging enough shipping and taking the loss.

Have lots of packing boxes/supplies on hand when you list your items so they are ready to go quickly after the listing ends. Try to get as much free packing supplies, bubble wrap, peanuts, etc as you can for free. I put a "wanted" ad on Craigslist and in 2 days had enough free packing stuff to last me 2 months.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I've stopped using Ebay. They have made it where sellers are wrong no matter how big a jerk you're dealing with. And the fees...........depending on the value of the item, with their fees then Paypal fees, you're out about %40.

5. MysticScorpio82

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    40% fees?? I thought they only charged 20% IF the item sold... Did they change their policy since I last read it or did I misunderstand?

6. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    But don't you HAVE to use Paypal now? Take a credit card theres a fee, get paid cash, theres a fee. I use to make good money buying and selling precious metals on ebay. I get better deals at Pawn Shops now. And you pay whether it sells or not. Insertion fee. Final Value fee.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. MysticScorpio82

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Wow that sucks! Thank you for letting me know this before I started selling.

8. MysticScorpio82

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Thank you for your advice. [​IMG] I just started an etsy shop for my hand made things, and I think this great advice for that store front as well as Ebay

9. elijahboy

elijahboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    SELL ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!!!!!!!

Ebay sucks for sellers now!!!!!! Period......

I sold on there for about 8 years, mostly cothes, and in the last 2 years they ahev went crazy.

Its all for the buyers now or the sellers that sell tons of stuff at a time.

If your the little person you mean nothing.

The fees are CRAZY now.

I use to make great money, like 3000 a month, and if I sold on there now the same exact items I might make 1000 after fees and because I am not allowed to list the way I want.

10. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I agree. Ebay is doing everything they can to run the small sellers off. It's just been one slap in the face after another the last few years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by