Selling or giving away Ducklings - which one?

DuckLover3

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Marlborough, CT
Just in case my Khaki hen does decide to set, I was thinking about what I would do with her ducklings....I figured as soon as she started sitting, I could put up a sign for free ducklings to give everybody a while to respond if they want them, but do you think it would be better to sell them? I mean, if I sold them for a small fee, do you think more people who actually know what they're doing would respond? Instead of people who just think ducklings are cute and want to keep them while they're little, and then just abandon them when they're adults.....I would definitely question anybody asking for ducklings; try to make sure they're serious about them, but do you think maybe $3 per duckling or so would discourage people who just want them while they're little? Also, the ducklings would be Khaki/Rouen/Khaki mixes, as the hen is full khaki Campbell and the drake is her son who's father is a Rouen....Do you think anybody who was serious about ducks would want that mix? Oh, and I was thinking about mailing some of them. Not sure if enough of them will hatch to even attempt this, but I'm trying to find out how you become certified and what that involves.

Thanks!

I'd avoid any "Free" duckling ads. Those usually end up for reptiles or parents who buy them for their kids because there cute and dump them later. I see no reason why you can't get 3 a duckling. That's the average price for mixed ducklings down here.

Charge and sell locally. Most hatcheries have a minimum order of 10 and there are a number of reasons for that- one of which is for the duckling to be warm. I also would not pick up a 'free' duckling unless if came directly from a friend. I gave 3 of my big ducklings (7 weeks old) to a friend and didn't charge anything. But she knows where to find me. ;)

The world is full of people who will take stuff they don't want and don't need just because it is free.

if you charge a couple of dollars, then it helps to weed out the people who take things they don't really want. If people have to pay, they think a bit more about whether they need it. However, $2-$3 dollars can still be an impulse buy, so you have to interview the new homes to make sure they really want a duck full time and know how to take care of it.

The world is full of people who will take stuff they don't want and don't need just because it is free.

if you charge a couple of dollars, then it helps to weed out the people who take things they don't really want. If people have to pay, they think a bit more about whether they need it. However, $2-$3 dollars can still be an impulse buy, so you have to interview the new homes to make sure they really want a duck full time and know how to take care of it.
I would ask at least 5.00 and send home a care sheet with them. and also ask questions.

Why are you even letting them hatch out if you are going to get rid of them? Why don't you just pick up the eggs and not make more ducks? I just don't understand. You are not making the breed better if you are hatching mix breeds (not down on mixes, I have one). That is the reason to become a breeder, to better the breed. And why on earth do you want to ship them? Please think this through. If you just want to watch them hatch, there are vids online that you can watch to experience that.

I've thought about this too (very theoretically) and even though I wouldn't really care about how much money I got, I would want the ducks to go to someone who could swing a few bucks for them. I figure the cost of ducklings is pretty small compared to other expenses involved.
And responsible people are often wary of "free" anything, so you'd be inadvertently weeding out the better candidates.

Why are you even letting them hatch out if you are going to get rid of them? Why don't you just pick up the eggs and not make more ducks? I just don't understand. You are not making the breed better if you are hatching mix breeds (not down on mixes, I have one). That is the reason to become a breeder, to better the breed. And why on earth do you want to ship them? Please think this through. If you just want to watch them hatch, there are vids online that you can watch to experience that.
I want them to hatch because I would like to know what it involves for future reference, as I'm planning on expanding my bevy by quite a bit in a few years. I know I could watch videos of it and read about it, and although those are very helpful, I think actually trying it is and getting the real experience is better. I was thinking about shipping them because I have some friends who are looking for ducks, but they only want a few and getting them from a hatchery when you only want about 3 ducklings is quite expensive. I know it might be even more expensive to ship them myself, even without the added price of the ducklings, but that's why I wanted to get some information about it - to determine if it was worth it and see if it was even a possibility. So I just want you to know that I am thinking it through - that's why I'm asking questions.

Back
Top Bottom