Selling or giving away Ducklings - which one?

Instead of letting her have a bunch of eggs how about just 2 or 3 eggs?
Campbells are known for not being broody so she might only set for a couple days and decide setting on eggs is boring and she'll go back doing what she normally did.

"Instead of letting her have a bunch of eggs how about just 2 or 3 eggs?"

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I had read that ducks don't normally set until they have about 12-18 eggs, so wouldn't she not set for just 2 or 3 eggs? [/FONT]

"Instead of letting her have a bunch of eggs how about just 2 or 3 eggs?"

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I had read that ducks don't normally set until they have about 12-18 eggs, so wouldn't she not set for just 2 or 3 eggs? [/FONT]
I assumed she was already setting on eggs?

You can let her lay eggs until she gets to a certain number to where she starts setting then take all of them out except the ones you want to keep.

Heck, she may not even go broody, I had swedish ducks and I let them lay about 30 eggs in a nest before I pitched them all out and said forget that! They had absolutely no interest in setting at all.

I'm hoping she decides to set! She was sitting a little while ago, when she just had 1 egg, then when I checked on her again, she was off playing in her pond, so I don't know if she'll set or not....I guess if she gets to 20 eggs and doesn't set, I'll take them out. I was also hoping she would set because she was part of an order that my neighbor and I shared, and my neighbor's ducks have gone broody every year since, so this year I was hoping she would too. I've never left eggs in her nest before, but since I've started leaving them there, she made the nest very nice, and she always lays her eggs there now, instead of laying them all different places, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I guess I'll just have to wait and see....

Before I hatched any eggs I asked people around me if they new anyone who would be interested. I found tons of people who wanted babies. After I said $5 each, the list got smaller. After I said its best to have at least 2 for multiple reasons the list got smaller again. The people who were left hung around and I was happy I would have a place for the few I wasn't keeping to go to. I said come get them whenever you get your brooder set up... They never came. I still have 2 extra ducklings. Think long and hard before you hatch and you get stuck with babies you don't have the room for.

Back
Top Bottom