Selling or giving eggs away - Reusing store egg cartons o.k?

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
My friends and family have been saving grocery store egg cartons for us. I have about 15 so far and my chickens are still 1 1/2 - 3 months away from laying. When we finally do get enough eggs to sell the extras, is there any reason I shouldn't use the used egg cartons given to me from the grocery stores?

I use egg cartons from others all the time, nothing wrong with it in my opinion, beats buying them
big_smile.png

We used to recycle the cartons back to the farm where we bought the eggs from. You should politely ask your customers to do the same. Tell them it would help keep the cost of eggs down by saving you money while keeping them out of landfills.
wink.png

There would be a very slight risk of cross contamination from reuse. I don't worry about it. If you are then wash and sanitize the cartons. If they are cardboard you could pop them in the microwave for a few seconds.
Imp-sanitarily

We have also been saving cartons from the organic eggs I buy at the grocery store. My girls will be in full production in the spring and we plan to sell eggs. My son is quite artistic and I asked him to design a logo for our cartons. I carefully peeled off the label from one of the cartons so he can match the size. Once we decide on a design, we will copy it and glue it onto the cartons. I plan to ask for my customers to return their carton for a refill and a discount. I'm so excited!! Hurry up Spring!!

Back
Top Bottom