selling or giving eggs away - reusing store egg cartons?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    My friends and family have been saving grocery store egg cartons for us. I have about 15 so far and my chickens are still 1 1/2 - 3 months away from laying. When we finally do get enough eggs to sell the extras, is there any reason I shouldn't use the used egg cartons given to me from the grocery stores?

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I use egg cartons from others all the time, nothing wrong with it in my opinion, beats buying them [​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We reuse store-bought egg cartons, too.

We share our eggs with friends and neighbors and always tell them, "This is a magic egg carton. Return it when it's empty and it'll fill back up and come back to you!". [​IMG]

Dawn

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    We used to recycle the cartons back to the farm where we bought the eggs from. You should politely ask your customers to do the same. Tell them it would help keep the cost of eggs down by saving you money while keeping them out of landfills. [​IMG]

5. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    would be ok with me to buy from you if you use old cartons

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

There would be a very slight risk of cross contamination from reuse. I don't worry about it. If you are then wash and sanitize the cartons. If they are cardboard you could pop them in the microwave for a few seconds.
    Imp-sanitarily

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Of course it is ok, keeps them out of the landfill, recycle and all that. besides it just makes good sense. yea go ahead.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The only snag I've run into here in SC is that state law prohibits selling eggs in used cartons. What they don't know won't hurt you! [​IMG]

I bought a supply from eggcartons.com and folks rarely bring them back. [​IMG]

9. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you sell eggs, you can charge .25 or .50 cents more if you have to give them a carton. people will bring cartons with them next time just to save that quarter or two!

10. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    We have also been saving cartons from the organic eggs I buy at the grocery store. My girls will be in full production in the spring and we plan to sell eggs. My son is quite artistic and I asked him to design a logo for our cartons. I carefully peeled off the label from one of the cartons so he can match the size. Once we decide on a design, we will copy it and glue it onto the cartons. I plan to ask for my customers to return their carton for a refill and a discount. I'm so excited!! Hurry up Spring!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by