Selling or giving eggs away - Reusing store egg cartons o.k?

Get your legislators to change the law!

Here, all the local egg producers sell their eggs in the stores in used cartons that are printed with the larger local egg producers' logos -- and put a little mailing label sticker over the corner, to say where the eggs are really from!

Of course, in Vermont, you can also sell uninspected poultry meat - and restaurants can even serve it. http://www.ruralvermont.org/poultry.html

I shave .25 to .50 off for returned cartons.

Last time one fellow came by for 2dozen eggs he brought back 2 cartons and a bag with 4 grubs for the girls! LOL - he decided he is going to make a grub bucket next to his compost pile to bring to the girls!

I may have to give him a dozen "on the coop" LOL

I just looked up the laws for selling eggs in arizona and found that besides having to register with the state and being required to keep receipts with names and address of buyers, we are also not allowed to use the words "fresh" or "local" in advertising the eggs. I can understand not allowing "fresh" since they don't know the age of the eggs, but "local" is prohibited also? Odd. Thankfully, they don't dissallow "free-range" or "cage-free".

http://www.azda.gov/licensing/EggCombo.pdf

Most of these stupid laws we run in to were created to protect a small number of people at some point in the past...

Some cousin who was a poultry farmer...

A mayor's brother who didn't like a competitor...

A special interest group with a strong lobby...

Denying you the use of the word LOCAL sounds to me like some big conglomerate doesn't want individuals to have a marketing advantage. Time for you to get creative.

I would use phrases like...
Homegrown
From Your Neighborhood!
Made in _________(Insert your town, neighborhood or county name here)

You can also use a LAID ON date (kind of like the beer "born on" date)

In fact, if you know who laid it, label it as Laid on ____ by _______ and include a picture of the chicken who laid it!
big_smile.png

I bet that would increase sales from people who appreciate local, fresh foods

29 cents without tax 30cents with at rural king in central indiana, have people bring their own (and encourage them to do so) - otherwise charge them for a new one, and I like to pencil the date on my eggs.

I too use used cartons and sell some from a sign on the road, never thought about the used cartons issue - and slight possibility of cross contamination. Good point.
thumbsup.gif

I'm new here, so please forgive me for digging up an old post, but there is more to be considered in this than opinion. Please refer to your state's department of agriculture for your local guidelines on this issue. It would be a shame to lose your birds or have a heavy fine levied against you over a 30-50 cent egg carton, or ruin local egg sales for everyone due to not following regulations, whether you agree with them or not. My state has a regulation specifically prohibiting the use of used cartons for selling eggs. The following link has a link to each state which should take you to what you need to know about selling your eggs. It is not the laws and regulations that make it more difficult to run a farm, it is the people who have no standards and don't abide by the laws that cause more unnecessary laws to be put in place which makes the problem worse. Don't make it more difficult for everyone else by not abiding by the standards of your state. If one person sells bad eggs from their local coop then word will get out and cause people to be fearful of buying local, it happens.

http://nerous.org/state-laws-regulations/egg-laws-by-state/

Most of these stupid laws we run in to were created to protect a small number of people at some point in the past...

Some cousin who was a poultry farmer...

A mayor's brother who didn't like a competitor...

A special interest group with a strong lobby...

Denying you the use of the word LOCAL sounds to me like some big conglomerate doesn't want individuals to have a marketing advantage. Time for you to get creative.

I would use phrases like...
Homegrown
From Your Neighborhood!
Made in _________(Insert your town, neighborhood or county name here)

You can also use a LAID ON date (kind of like the beer "born on" date)

In fact, if you know who laid it, label it as Laid on ____ by _______ and include a picture of the chicken who laid it!
big_smile.png

I bet that would increase sales from people who appreciate local, fresh foods
What a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom