Selling pekin eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bettacreek, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    So, my main game plan has been to hatch all of the pekin eggs out, raise them to POL, butcher the majority of the males and sell the hens for $20 each. Sounds good to me anyways, because we'd get meat and money from them, and once they get past a certain age, feed is free. Unfortunately, I kind of need some money sooner, rather than later, so I was looking around at the different prices of pekin duck eggs, and I just don't know what people are charging, because it's all over the place! What do you charge for regular pekin eggs (with a good fertility rate), and do you sell enough to bring in a little bit of money? I put them on CL for I think $10 per half dozen and haven't gotten any hits. I've seen them advertised for about $1.50-$2 per egg last year, but who knows if they've sold?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Our eating eggs (duck) sell for $5.00/ half dozen

3. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I sell mine for $5/dozen for now. $4.50/dozen for duck/chicken egg mix. Oh haha that's for eating eggs. I would sell them at a higher price for hatching. I think you have a fair price for production quality Pekins (assuming that's what you have). People may just not be interested right now. It's off season right now in my places of the US.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I charge 2.50 a egg for my bantam duck eggs around here. You may not be getting as many hits right now for hatching eggs because many people have already put up their bators for the year.

5. AZCowboy

AZCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    Whoa!!!!!! I sell one dozen eggs for 1 dollar! And get tons of buyers. You guys sell them for way to much!!!!

6. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Depends upon where you are. Chicken eggs for eating go for $4-$6 doz, duck eggs go for $4-$6/half dozen here. I have friends in other parts of the country who sell a dozen chicken eggs for $2 and ducks for $6/doz.

Fertile hatching eggs are, of course, more.

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Thank you guys. :) I have just regular production pekins from local lines, nothing special. In the store, regular chicken eggs are almost $2 per dozen. Unfortunately, there's a farm store here that charges $1.50/dozen, HOWEVER, I've seen their pen and I've seen dead, half eaten chickens in there in the late afternoon. That was the day I quit buying from them and went without eggs for awhile until I got some POL hens. I'm glad I did too, because her's were dirt penned. Free-range taste SO MUCH better. I've been advertising at $3/dozen for eating eggs since summer, and I haven't gotten a single hit for them. It's odd, because I'm the only one locally advertising for free-range, soy free eggs. :/

As for selling eggs for $1/dozen, no offense, but I would sooner feed them back to the ladies for that price. While I can get feed for free, I still have gas money to go get the feed every week, and my time with the birds, my losses (to idiots who swerve off the road to intentionally run them over, and some small birds to hawks) and supplies that they need. I wouldn't sell mine under $2.50 per dozen, and that's to my brother, who insists on paying for them. If someone wants dirt cheap eggs, they can search the sales and buy them when they go on sale at the grocery store as a loss leader for $0.99/dozen. IMHO, you get what you pay for, and even me being broke, I was paying more at the farm store than at the grocery store (until the grocery store prices started rising) because cheap store eggs suck.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    As Kevin said its a bad time of the year, but we still have hatching eggs selling at $3 and $4 each (we dont raise pekins though)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  9. AZCowboy

AZCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  10. cmknight

cmknight Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    My Coop
    I agree with the OP. At a $1 a dz, you can't even pay for the feed. You may as well give the eggs away for free at that price and not even bother with selling them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by