1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

selling price for eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kanga77510, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I had someone ask today if I was selling eggs. I'm not yet, but hope to in a year or so when I have more hens. So how much do you get for a dozen?

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Eating eggs I get 2.00 a doz.

3. same here $2.00 a dozen for eating eggs .

4. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Lots of threads on this already. LOCATOIN LOCATION LOCATION. Some get a little as $2 and some as high as $6. I get $3.50 at the farmers market on fridays and sell out 30+ dozen.

5. chickygrrl

chickygrrl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Duluth
    I'm selling mine for $3 a dozen in Northern Minnesota...6 brown and 6 green or blues. I picked this price based on what the grocery stores are charging around here...Cage-free brown eggs at Sam's Club from who knows where and who knows how old are going for $3.50 or so. The whole foods co-op in town has half-dozens for $2.50. I figure my customers are getting a great deal and I always can move my eggs quickly!

6. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
  7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I was asking for "donations" and people would give me $2.50 or $3.00.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  8. kitaye

kitaye Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    South Lancaster
    We have 10 hens and are getting 8-10 eggs a day. Hubby takes the eggs to work and sells them $2.00 a doz, and the buyer returns the cartons. We give a doz to each of the neighbours who have asked for them.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I was getting $2.50 a dozen for eating eggs, but once the economy went the way it did I had to lower my price to $2.00 a dozen. My customers are all really good about saving my cartons for me, so that helps me out. Some even bring their own cartons for me to fill! [​IMG]

10. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    As mentioned above, it's all about location. Check your local craigslist ads to get an idea, but also try and calculate how much money you are spending (feed, de, bedding, etc) per dozen eggs. It is possible to break even (not counting start up expenses) with laying hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by