1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Selling Quail Eggs for Eating - How much do you charge?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Nov 11, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've recently started getting calls and don't know what to charge for them. I just told someone $5/dozen or two dozen for $8 and they are snapping them up. Am I too high? Too low??

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I would do $5.00 a doz. Maybe someone is hatching them?

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    if it was me i'd charge as much as I would for them to be hatching eggs because theres no guarrentee what people will do with them after they get them...soit would be in your best interest to sell them at the hatching price...least that's my plan [​IMG].

Pretty much how selling horses is done...most are sold by their weight...so if they are 1,300 lbs, they are sold for $1,300, because theres no guarrentee what they will do with the horse all the time.....pet or slaughter.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Well, they came, they shopped, they BOUGHT. They had no intentions of hatching; wanted them for eating. I sold 2 1/2 dozen for $10 ($4/dozen; gave 'em a discount), plus a dozen chicken eggs for $3, and two quail hens for $5 each. They're coming back on Saturday for 2 dozen more chicken eggs. Wanted 4 dozen but we already have a waiting list, so I'm really pushing it by selling them any at all. They also want me to hatch and raise them chickens so they are bigger and they can pick them up in April. Not sure I want to do that. Usually it's hatch and GO. They wanted to buy my buff orps but I wouldn't sell. I do have my limits...

Did I do bad? Probably too cheap...I just don't know how to price these things. [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think $5 for a dozen is a good price as well. Most people that sell them for hatching that I have seen sell them about the same price, if not less. I would get what you can for them!! Quail eat less food for each pounds-worth of eggs than chickens do.

6. dutchbunny83

dutchbunny83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Holy cow I sell my quail eggs 2 dozen for $3!!!
    Chicken eggs $2.50 per dozen.
    On here trying to find the going rate for duck eggs to eat I was thinking $2.50 for 6 since I don't get enough for a dozen, but don't know that anyone will pay that high....

7. specsussex

specsussex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    midcoast, Maine
    I'm in Maine and I know a man here that sells his quail eggs for $8.00 a dozen. Doesn't have a problem either from what I understand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by