1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Selling quail in Florida

Discussion in 'Quail' started by littlebanty, Apr 8, 2008.

1. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone know of the rules and regualtions to sell quail in Florida? I was looking into hatching and selling quail that I raise.

2. amanda_dedi

amanda_dedi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, a license must be obtained. I have the quote from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation:

"Persons interested in propagating game birds for commercial or private use must first obtain a game farm license from this agency. The cost of the license is $50.00 per year."

I haven't bought one yet because my seven quail hatched only a week and a half ago. I think there are specific regulations for non-native species of quails. Mine are bobwhite, so there aren't many regulations.

3. littlebanty

Quote:I would be interested in bobwhite and/or button quail. I would still need the license for either? I would be a hobby seller more then considered a "farm seller". I dont really have a huge commercial farm.. I live in rural residential.

4. littlebanty

Quote:Also....I didnt think about it but do you have to have one to sell ducklings? I have 6 in the bator that I plan to sell. If I do I better get a license now.

5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:If there a native to the US you do, wild species require a Federal permit - some of the species covered and the links for the FWS at this topic - http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4327

You
    should be fine with domestics.

Most states where a game bird species is native and/or introduced (i.e. Common Pheasant, Hungarian Partridge, Grouse) will require a permit to sell. Some states even require one if the species is native to the US; example, my state MO - needed for the various western quail species. Best bet to check your local regs before purchasing a wild species.

Dan

6. littlebanty

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  7. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    I wouldn't think Buttons would be, they are Asian after all and seen in pet stores right along side other cage birds. I have never seen record of any wild breeding colonies of the species in North America and being so small, they really shouldn't be considered "game birds" (they are, but not in the actual shooting sense!!) according to reading those docs.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by