Selling roos....

Bizzybirdy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
North of Nashville
I have some nice adult roosters for sale, colorful and healthy. I got a call from a man that lives in a nearby town that not too long ago was notorious for cock fighting. I know several people still raise games there and do not want my roos to end up as "trainers" for such.

Anyway I can find out his intentions; any questions I can ask without raising suspicions?
idunno.gif
He wants 15 to 20 of my boys.

Wish there was some way to just have eggs turn into hens...I HATE having to find homes for my roosters, not many find one with a bunch of hens.

History of cock fighting is a red flag in itself. Nevermind wanting 15-20 roos.
hmm.png

If you still feel he has redeemed himself and deserving of your roos, you can ask him IF he has stopped cock fighting and what he plans to do with all your roos.

Why can you just not sell to him if you're suspicious of his intent? I have no problem with people eating birds that they buy (even if they were to buy mine - once it leaves my place, I have no control over what happens to it) but I do have a problem with cock fighting. I wouldn't sell to him if I thought that was what would be happening. When I start my breeding flock, I intend to eat my extra roosters. Saves alot of hassle. I will admit that for a long time, I couldn't kill my "pretty roosters", but I guess I'm getting colder and crustier as I get older.
wink.png

I don't have a problem with them being dinner...just don't want them tortured.

I have to get rid of them...have way too many and they are starting to fight amongst themselves and are hurting the hens. I have found that many people will only tell you what you want to hear when purchasing a chicken, or most any animal. Just need to think of a trick question,
roll.png
if there is such a thing.

bobbi-j...I am starting to think about sending them to MY freezer camp, just haven't been able to do one yet. At least they would go in a humane manner. Don't think I could do all of these myself though.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm with you there. I hate to see any animal tortured, too. Is he the only one who has asked about them? If not, sell them to another buyer. You aren't required to sell to anyone you don't feel comfortable with.

As far as butchering them, that's why I keep my DH around
wink.png
I personally can't kill a bird myself, but I can order the hit. He lops heads, I do the rest. Usually it's old laying hens and I pressure can them.

I do a lot of hatching so I end up with a lot of males. Some will be processed, some will be sold and any left that I haven't sold will go to my local auction.

We had that happen in my area I guess. I was just in the market for a Roo since we didn't have one, and was asked all kinds of questions from several people that I called! Guess there are a few people that buy Roo's to sell South of here for fighting. I never had a clue. Sfter we hatch out some, we will also have extra boys and I guess we intend to eat them as opposed to risking a really crappy life for something that I let hatch. It is awful that we have to think of these things!

Yup...have been advertising them for over a month and he is the only one that called. Everyone else is looking for hens. :-( Will keep trying to think of a way to find out his intentions...he wants them on Friday.

Wish I had someone nearby to show me how to process my chickens...watched some videos online and guess I could just try but 15 roos are a bit much. Would rather these all left at once.

I did raise some Cornish X's a few years ago but the processor is over an hour away and charged then- $3.00 per bird, probably more now. Wonder how TOUGH these guys are?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom