Selling Roosters and Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickado, Jan 6, 2009.

1. chickado

chickado Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    LORIS, SC
    Does anyone ever sell your roosters and hens? How would you determine what to charge for them?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    it depends on if you are trying to make money or get rid of them! It also has somehting to do with quality and rarity. Mainly it is about what someone will pay. I have sold for as little as $1 (besides given away) and have paid way more...do not tell my wife! So basically...whatever you want and can get.

3. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I just offered some mutt pulletts up for sale here in AZ. I asked $10 @ and the guy told me he could get them for around $6 - $8. He must know someone else who is selling because the stores or farm places I've seen are asking $10 - $25.

4. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

In addition to comparing prices at feed stores, you may want to search craigslist. Consider the age of your chickens as well as their breed and condition. I'm offering 6 week old easter egger pullets for $5 and found one taker so far.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Depends.... How old are they ? How long have they been laying ? What breed are they ?

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have given roos away free, sold some for $10 (standards) Laying hens standard or bantams automatically $10 each, Serama pairs under 6 months $50 a pr over 6 months depending on type and size $75 and up. Really does vary depending on the breed and age like everyone said. I saw a man put an ad on craigslist for a barred cochin bantam, he said they were rare (alot of hatcheries have them) and was trying to sell it (rooster) for $25 far from a show bird too. I had to laugh at that one. I bet he is still trying to rehome that roo. My mixes go for $5 a piece

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have seen adults from $6-$15 on my local Craigslist.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I could not sell my roosters at any price unless I throw in a pullet or hen with him. Pullets and hens sell well.

My pullet price is somewhere between ten to twenty dollars depending on the breed and age and laying stages.

Roosters, I give them away for free!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by